Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Getting ready to polish fuel

I'm getting ready to polish my fuel this weekend. Can anyone tell me how to get the pick up tube out of the fiberglass tank. It has a 90 elbow going into the tank. Can I just unscrew this 90 out and the tube come with it or is there another fitting inside the tank that it is attached to. Would like to check the pickup tube while doing this.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

Re: Getting ready to polish fuel

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies to your thread - till now. I just wanted to say that I am begening to think that fuel ploishing may not be as effective as some expect. For one the baffels in your tank prevent the pressurd return fuel from cleanning all walls. for another, you really cannot get to all the fuel. An old salt once recommended running your fuel low while keeping extra racor filters on hand (I hope you have racor systems) and changing them out as you refuel, but only refill the tanks say half way. Then repeat this process several times and you should filter out most impurities. Rocking the boat while underway will help lossen up particles and any crap in your tank(s) so they can be directed to the filters. Don't to forget to bleed the junk collected in the racor bulbs frequently.

Good luck,
    Capt'n Bill

Re: Getting ready to polish fuel

Capt Buddy,
    Yes Unscrew the 90 and the tube is soldered to the 90. May as well check it for cracks. I had two fail last year, Major Pita factor.
    JW