Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Old Tecumseh Cruisair compressor turns off after an hour will restart after long

My old service valves is where I get these very slow leaks. I am planning to eliminate them both, unless someone can tell me a reason not to.
    Plan is to buy braze in service tees. And sliver braze flare unions onto the remaining end of the copper tube out of the compressor. One flare connection side is 1/2, the other is 1/4. All the charge and discharge is done thru the service port anyway. the valves wear out and get in the way is all. They may have shipped this full of refrigerant (charged unit) when new and would have needed service valves, but after install none are needed. I plan to do this this winter. For now, I will just recharge it with a little more juice.

The valves are made super dumb, out of steel, that rusts, people use wrong tools marring the stem, they use packing and a packing nut and that leaks. Then your depending on a valve cap and that can leak also. And they cant be fixed. Not seen any part numbers for these valves, they likely cost a lot of money. Many leaks of refrigerant come from valves like that. A shrader valve can be renewed if it leaks. Simplify the design is better.

Dumb idea to send out charged units that must have valves. Any service tech can weigh in a proper charge.

As long as the compressor motor is good, the other stuff can be fixed for not a lot of money by me. A valve may be useful on a very large system to isolate the compressor unit for service, but not these small ones for boats.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 08-02-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Re: Old Tecumseh Cruisair compressor turns off after an hour will restart after long

added refrigerant, and it is cooling again.

Pack nut was loose, refrigerant was bubbling out around packing nut when I removed the cap on suction valve. I tightened nut and it stopped. BUT, I had tightened them last year, so why were they both loose.

Notice TAP handle works well on these stems.
    Getting rid of valves is a good idea. I can buy service TEES and silver braze them in place of the valves. one side is 3/8. other is 1/4.
    Then braze a male flare to the service TEEs. Suction side is 1/2 flare, pressure side is 1/4 flare
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sdowney717; 08-02-2021 at 04:26 PM.

I have fired, on the spot, any A C tech that did not have a proper square head tool. Also called them down when a soap or at least a spit test was not preformed on the valves when service was to be completed.
    Amazing how far their eyes popped out, when on new equipment, I could still demonstrate,,,, a leak..
    Those fucking service valves leak. Always need attention before walking aweigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I have fired, on the spot, any A C tech that did not have a proper square head tool. Also called them down when a soap or at least a spit test was not preformed on the valves when service was to be completed.
    Amazing how far their eyes popped out, when on new equipment, I could still demonstrate,,,, a leak..
    Those fucking service valves leak. Always need attention before walking aweigh...
    yes, that is really bad. I think in the past people have used vice grips on these stems.

No need for valves to be on this small stuff. Just service tees. They would sell a charged unit, a tech or who knows who, would connect the tubing, pull a vacuum, then open the valve. Being capillary system in the evaporator, getting the charge right is more difficult, so it takes the work out of doing it right, like weighing in a charge, which is not really hard.

Valves like this just make for more trouble down the road.

Marred valve stems, you use a TAP wrench and get a very secure tight fit to the stem.
    One of mine I had to file the flats to give a better grip. They dont wear down like that unless they are abused.

I also put marine grease on them, because they can get rusty.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 08-02-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Anyone have a link to the Cruisair Diagnostic Manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Conchyjoe View Post
    Anyone have a link to the Cruisair Diagnostic Manual?
    I could use a copy as well. only the SMX or newer manuals are showing up in my searches
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)