Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warning

Warning

I found this on line and thought it wise to pass it on to all of you.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Warning

Thanks for the warning Rusty - this is the anchor setup on Katerina. Fortunately I've never had to use it. I'll get it changed out before I take her out next.
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

I have seen that. (Both the chain and the wrong results.....)
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

OK I might need to enlarge the picture but am I correct in assuming that is a vinyl-covered or similar chain? Reason I ask is because for a minute I thought it was the white plastic decorative chain popular in big-box stores lawn and garden departments. Either way it's not suitable, not safe, and I wouldn't even use it across my boarding gates let alone as anchor chain or a bridle. I heard one of the employees in a local marine supply house explain to a customer today why they only sell hot galvanized or stainless steel anchor chain, and while yes it is more expensive than what he could buy at Lowes or Home Depot, how much is his boat, family and safety worth? Customer bought the right chain then asked for guidance in connecting anchor, swivel, etc.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    OK I might need to enlarge the picture but am I correct in assuming that is a vinyl-covered or similar chain? Reason I ask is because for a minute I thought it was the white plastic decorative chain popular in big-box stores lawn and garden departments. Either way it's not suitable, not safe, and I wouldn't even use it across my boarding gates let alone as anchor chain or a bridle. I heard one of the employees in a local marine supply house explain to a customer today why they only sell hot galvanized or stainless steel anchor chain, and while yes it is more expensive than what he could buy at Lowes or Home Depot, how much is his boat, family and safety worth? Customer bought the right chain then asked for guidance in connecting anchor, swivel, etc.
    This is the one you will find at your local marine store. I’ve seen many add this so it looks nice on the deck when the anchor is up.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The hundreds of feet of chain in my locker looked like hell. I'd bet it hadn't been run out of there for 7+ years...looked corroded together almost. The pulpit and windlass were replaced in 2012 - and that's probably the last time that chain saw daylight.

I absolutely douched it with Liquid Wrench Chain Oil and it looks great. 100' of it ran-out without a hitch. <water got kinda' oily though>
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C