Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zincs

Zincs

After experiencing some speed loss for a given power setting I had a diver check out the subaquatic portion of Lady Kay. He reported the paint in good shape (it was done a year ago) but the metal dirty. Enough to where, in his opinion, it would cause the noted degradation of performance. Some boats are more sensitive than others. Is it the opinion of this body that these boats are in fact quite sensitive to contamination on the wheels?

He also reported the zincs in good condition. I have never seen my boat out of the water and the pictures are inconclusive as to the zinc configuration. It looks like two discs on the top of each rudder, and clamshells on the prop shafts, one each side between the aft and middle struts. A total of 4 locations. Are there supposed to be any more?

In retirement I mow my own lawn, and I guess I'll have to clean my props regularly too. (I have the gear). Saves me money I can dump in other areas of the boat.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 06-04-2021 at 10:44 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Zincs

That is what my boat has. Two on each rudder (opposite each other) and two on each shaft (either side of coupling). When I had a degradation, it was growth on the prop.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Ah, TWO on each shaft. Total of 6 thanks. Those are easy to find underwater.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I clean my own as well and mow my own lawn. I am getting tired of both. Here in FL it seems like both are year round jobs.

Some marinas do not allow DIY bottom dives. Please mind your marinas rules when it comes to diving your own boat.
    Be safe down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Some marinas do not allow DIY bottom dives. Please mind your marinas rules when it comes to diving your own boat.
    Be safe down there.
    Our marina is pretty chill, don't recall reading that in the rules but I'll check. However plan is to find a nice anchorage with some current. Never liked sitting in that muck cloud. Used to do this on previous boats.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 06-05-2021 at 11:54 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We're here in Fort Myers, and I was lucky enough to get acquainted with a local dive company that used to work with the Navy in the Pacific. They do a good job for me, but shared some interesting information. A local repair vendor that I know and trust also backed them up on this. I have the flat plate zincs on my rudders and trim tabs, but only one zinc ball on each shaft. They said if you're in a marina, too many zincs can actually increase the galvanic action under your boat rather than protect from it. I reached out to a couple of engineer friends from my Coast Guard days, that now own boats of their own and they agreed with this, saying better to double the shaft zincs once you start cruising, but with 6 zincs total I am actually in good shape for now.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Be safe down there.
    I don't have that issue to deal with but when I had it in a marina they never said anything about me diving my own boat. Thats getting pretty communist to me, telling someone they can't inspect their own property. Im glad I never had to stay in a marina like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I don't have that issue to deal with but when I had it in a marina they never said anything about me diving my own boat. Thats getting pretty communist to me, telling someone they can't inspect their own property. Im glad I never had to stay in a marina like that.
    Agreed
    The stuck up Marinas and wanna be stuck up marinas in Jax have these rules.
    They want the diver companies with $2m insurance to go under your boats and their docks.
    And, the dive companies wave liable from the marina when under there (leaking) docks when they sign in.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-06-2021 at 10:05 PM.

I always believed over zink was O K.
    Better to give up monkey metal than your expensive bronze.
    If they burn up quickly, zinc up well and find your (others) voltage leaks.

Having lived in some better marinas and working marinas, I'll tell you, there are some boats to stay away from and no amount of zink will protect you.
    Just throw a volt meter lead in the water and accidentally trip a suspect boats shore breaker, (when nobody is on the suspect boat is preferred).

I remember there is a formula for figuring zinks per metal protected.
    I can not find it.