Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: AC raw water pump impeller replacement and source?

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You make one. Not difficult.
    But this one is so dainty...and cork?! I don't recall ever seeing anything but rubber gaskets on strainers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Perko or Groco?
    The synthetic or cork gaskets are readily available, usually on the rack at West Marine.
    Close the cock and take the cover to the store if your not sure of the model number or size.

For the tru hardened, I always keep a sheet of various gasket material in the shop and press (tap out) my own gaskets for strainers.
    I used to make some with those flat rubber sheets from Goodyear. But with young kids now, I just grab everything off the shelf and keep on movin'. Before long, they'll be off to college and I'll return to craftsmanship.

I hope Marine Supply has 'em, because West Marine makes me feel like a victim.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

You can cut them out of rubber sheet quicker than you can drive to the store.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Any body know where you can get the red plastic strainer pictured . I have two , can’t find any more . Supposedly they have been impregnated with a biocide . The stay amazingly clean and the handles don’t corrode at the spot weld .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I know of at least three boats running the swimming pool pumps that have passed multiple annual inspections by the USCG. All of them are diesel and not gas.
    That's a troubling argument in my opinion. What does ABYC have to say about marine electricals and equipment? What kinds of electric motors did Hatteras put in our boats (diesel or gas)? NTSB accident reports are replete with inspections that fail to take note of some pretty basic discrepancies. Saying it's OK because it passed inspection is awfully close to accepting a I got away with it mindset. Human nature, wouldn't you agree? I wonder how one would feel paying a contractor to fix a problem and discovering an installed component that wasn't rated for the usage. We don't have to wonder about an insurance company's position.

A 57' diesel boat caught fire and sank off Charleston this past week. We don't yet know the cause. We do know the insurance company will look for any reason to mitigate or deny their exposure. A 74' Hatteras (Inspected Passenger Vessel), at this marina, passed multiple annual inspections that'd leave a blind man scratching his head. I mean how does a boat with a rotten transom and paper thin thru hulls, sans, bonding pass?* The owners got away with that and much more for years. A change in sector command added emphasis to inspections and did away with the seemingly unlimited automatic two-week compliance extensions. That boat's certificate was jerked, and spent six months in a yard to try for recertification. The list of deficiencies was epic.

So, saying a repair passed inspection and is, therefore, an approved repair is kinda like troopers allowing 10 over the limit. You got away with it. Getting away with an extra 10MPH makes justifying another 5 that much easier.

I realize it's a gray world, and who doesn't want to stretch a boat unit?

* Since that boat left for the yard, my zinc life has almost quadrupled.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

actually, the 10 mph is designed into the speed limit.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Good job on that site - it's about one-forth cheaper than the one I linked. I'll have to check everything to make sure it's the right pump. But for 270 bucks, it's not worth messing around too much with the old pump. Plug and play....

This one, right? https://bestbuypumps.com/AC-5C-MD-11...-0026-0100.htm
    Just make sure your current setup is 115V or 220V before you order - All of mine are 220V.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    actually, the 10 mph is designed into the speed limit.
    Allow me to suggest a few locations where it’s not on your next trip through SC.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    All this A/C talk got me to clean the strainer when in the ER this afternoon. Someone left me a little surprise in the basket:

Attachment 50444

I don't know if the PO or the A/C guy put those copper pipe pieces in there. I guess it works because the strainer was very clean after a lot of use for the last couple months.
    What's theory of the copper?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    What's theory of the copper?
    Same as copper bottom paint, barnacles don’t like it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You make one. Not difficult.
    Alright Clarkson, you were right again. $11 for a tiny little piece of cork - I feel abused. I know I have some in a box somewhere too...just have to hunt for it.

Your next suggestion will be met with, "Yes Cap'n...right away.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 06-06-2021 at 06:06 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C