Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: AC raw water pump impeller replacement and source?

Most of the folks I know replace theirs with a swimming pool pump of equal gpm. They are about $200 bucks and made for salt water. My oferdorfer is still going but thats my plan when she goes out. Plus they are on the shelf at Homo depot so they can be had pretty quick. Several boats I have been on had them with a screen built into the pump you can put bromide tabs in. I have heard of people using irrigation pumps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Most of the folks I know replace theirs with a swimming pool pump of equal gpm. They are about $200 bucks and made for salt water. My oferdorfer is still going but thats my plan when she goes out. Plus they are on the shelf at Homo depot so they can be had pretty quick. Several boats I have been on had them with a screen built into the pump you can put bromide tabs in. I have heard of people using irrigation pumps as well.
    Well the only boat I have ever seen with swimming pool pump also had an RV air con... the March pumps are top notch and last a long time...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Bronze impeller and o-ring is about $105 from www.pumpvendor.com and would make an easy repair for me if the impeller loosens right up and doesn't need to be shimmed. That March option looks good once I have used my spare motor and pump.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

The swimming pool pumps sound ok. But I wonder if they are rated for marine use viz ignition source or for a wet bilge installation. I suspect not, hence, swimming pool rating.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

All this A/C talk got me to clean the strainer when in the ER this afternoon. Someone left me a little surprise in the basket:

20210605_141347.jpg

I don't know if the PO or the A/C guy put those copper pipe pieces in there. I guess it works because the strainer was very clean after a lot of use for the last couple months.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 06-05-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Oh, by the way, where can I get the gasket to go in the a/c strainer in my 52C? It's a mess and now the thing leaks after cleaning it.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Oh, by the way, where can I get the gasket to go in the a/c strainer in my 52C? It's a mess and now the thing leaks after cleaning it.
    You make one. Not difficult.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Perko or Groco?
    The synthetic or cork gaskets are readily available, usually on the rack at West Marine.
    Close the cock and take the cover to the store if your not sure of the model number or size.

For the tru hardened, I always keep a sheet of various gasket material in the shop and press (tap out) my own gaskets for strainers.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-05-2021 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    marine use viz ignition source
    Excuse the interruption Sensei.... but no propane and no gasoline.... who cares about sparks?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    The swimming pool pumps sound ok. But I wonder if they are rated for marine use viz ignition source or for a wet bilge installation. I suspect not, hence, swimming pool rating.
    I know of at least three boats running the swimming pool pumps that have passed multiple annual inspections by the USCG. All of them are diesel and not gas.