Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 15W-40??? Isn't that problematic in DD 8-71s?

DDs have always used straight weight oils as noted above. I wonder how many damaged DD engines are alumni of that yard. Hopefully not yours.

I ran Rotella 15-40 in my Cummins four-strokes, until I switched to Mobilgard SHC1. I still run Rotella 15-40 in my two diesel cars. But I would never put it into a Detroit.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    There filters are also pretty good,
    Made by Wix Filter corp.

I've always used the Napa 40wt, but I have seen arguments that 40-15 is ok, and to be honest, they seem convincing. I don't use it because 40wt is cheap enough and available enough that it isn't worth it. And I am not trying to start my motors in the Arctic.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

There is a reason the Detroit factory included this in there 2 stroke manuals.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I've always used the Napa 40wt, but I have seen arguments that 40-15 is ok, and to be honest, they seem convincing. I don't use it because 40wt is cheap enough and available enough that it isn't worth it. And I am not trying to start my motors in the Arctic.
    In the Arctic, lighter oil is available. The CF-2 rating MUST still be achieved.
    Oh, Only in single weight oil.