Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: It's twisted.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    The tower makes it more noticeable.
    Oh, I bet. Worst for me is the swim platform.... But that's as seen from behind which is not where I usually am.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

most of the boats on this forum that have a listis because of too much of the owners crap on one side. some came from the factory with lead ballast blocks somewhere in the bilge, most of the time they are in or near the aft bilge. my boat had 300 lbs in the stbd aft corner of the cockpit. seem like the aft placement works better. as for your boat being twisted, i REALLY doubt that.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Our boat has lead ballast too , but when no significant owners junk is brought in and the boat acquires a list , something is up !
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    as for your boat being twisted, i REALLY doubt that.
    Yeah, somewhere above I posted that I had a moment of clarity and looked at the waterline. The front is listing to port too, by at least two inches at the chines. Still weird that the highest inside readings are in the back and the front is pretty level inside, but that's another story.

And yes, there is more stuff on port than SB. There is no washer on SB right now and a 150lb new one going in Monday. There is also a closet full of tools on Port which is migrating to SB above the new washer. Then I will re-evaluate.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

My surveyor noted (just) 70lbs of lead in the cockpit lazarette on the port side and I thought that was all the ballast.Then I discovered an additional huge stack of lead bars (500-600lbs?) tossed into a hull access hatch under the aft stateroom bed. I manage reducing the list by adjusting potable water tankage and moving heavy stuff around. I hope to add a big lithium battery bank on the extreme port side of the ER and remove some of that lead.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Pau Hana was refitted with granite countertops in the galley and the bar/countertop in the salon was also redone with granite. My plan to eliminate my 2-degree list (which the previous owner ignored for 7 years apparently) is to remove the defunct battery bank in the generator room (3 8-D's) then when I refit the electrical side to install lithiums for weight purposes. All the ballast aboard is in the master stateroom and piled on one side. My concern is that when underway the list is reduced, but that may be a perception issue rather than a real issue.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

So as planned I added a 150 pound washer on SB and moved all my tools from the Port mid cabin closet to the SB side of the forward cabin. (The lower bunk is "mine", mattress removed, until I find a better solution, on SB).

It made a huge difference. Instead of being 1/2" under water the bottom of the AC cooling water outlet is now at least 1-1/2" above the waterline. From the front she looks level, but the stern, which shows it more, still is not.

I'm going to use the mid head until the outboard waste tank (480 pounds) is full and then I will re-evaluate where she sits. I may have to oscillate around level due to the asymmetrical waste tank.

Or I may add some weight. There's a 40 pound dryer in the mail to go on top of the washer and I have plenty of lead bricks left at home.

I still (or again) maintain that she is twisted, at least on the inside. Everything midships forward now shows perfectly level and everything aft is still port low..... But that's ok. I am not as aligned myself as I was 60 plus years ago.

But I am learning what has how much effect and homing in on something I can live with.
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay