Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Inverter install

Eventually the SB side will convert to 24V, and as components need replacing they will be moved from 32V to 24V (The phased in approach). In the meantime, not wanting to run the Genny unless needing Air Conditioning I wanted some form of inverter to power the fridge when on the hook, and the 12V battery charger for the instruments when underway. Not to mention the plethora of personal electronic devices that need to be charged.

So after replacing the Port 32V bank with the snazzy Rolls batteries I installed a Newmar 32VDC to 24VDC converter to power a 24V 1500W inverter. The converter is limited to 40A continuous which gives me 960W. Just about enough to do what I need to do. Built a shelf in the generator room outboard of the battery bank. Yes, there is the Outback 32V inverter, but that puppy is $1800 and will be obsolete when the 32V to 24V conversion is complete.

After figuring out the supply schematics (in that other thread) I disconnected the 110V/50A feeds from the fuse box and tied the inverter into them. No surgery whatsoever upstairs needed. I will add a 10A AC ammeter in there to manage the load. I'll put that by the tie in/battery charger in the SB engine room.

Picture shows Port 110V/50A selected on S1 and S2..... the iights even work...... I will re-label the switch.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-29-2021 at 06:01 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Inverter install

Sorry but using a converter to feed an inverter doesn’t make any sense especially if the inverter has a higher rating than your converter.

I hope that “I disconnected the 110V/50A feeds from the fuse box and tied the inverter into them.“ doesn’t mean what I think it means ....

What kind of inverter did you use? Marine inverter?

Personally I would never feed an inverter from the house bank. I want redundancy. I want the inverter fed by a dedicated inverter bank so that my house bank doesn’t discharge for the critical systems like bilge pumps and heads.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Why doesn't it make sense to use a converter to feed an inverter? There is one 32V inverter for sale, it's $$$ and will be obsolete in my plans well before its end of life . There are tons of 24V inverters.

I removed the 110/50A ship side from the shore power fuse box and connected them to the inverter. What's the problem with that? It's an AC source just like the shore power was.

It is not a marine inverter. However neither load nor neutral are connected to the ship's AC system unless in use away from the dock, underway or at anchor, with generator not running. (The double breakers for port 110A/50A for S1 and S2 and the S1 and S2 selectors take care of this)

Redundancy is cool. I have two 32V banks and the SB side is not used for anything other than starting the SB engine. There is also the generator battery which is used only for generator start. The inverter is not used but for 6-8 hours at night and while running. Overnight we're talking maybe 100 Ah out of just north of 200 available. Plenty of redundancy.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-29-2021 at 11:58 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Indeed if you eliminated a 120/50 feed and used this to feed the panel, it’s fine. I wasn’t sure what you meant in the original post.

I am not a big fan of adding converters as it adds another point of failure plus loses along the way. I get the temporary logic though.

I have always though the battery system on these boats is less than ideal. Yes it works.. but the correct way is to have dedicated banks for each engine, each generator and house. The only reason to share a bank for house and one engine is to save space for high isn’t an issue on these boats unlike on smaller cruisers.

Once your inverter has used 30% to 40% of the bank capacity, voltage will be too low to ensure maximum capacity on your bilge pumps, and other systems. It s not just ideal.

When I repowered and redid the electrical converting to 24 volts, I setup separate banks. I haven’t replaced the inverter yet (the pos chinese made Xantrex I installed back in 2005 failed a long time ago...) but when I do the inverter will have its own bank.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The generator has its own dedicated battery. Again, inverter consumption overnight would be around 50-60Ah, the bank is 360Ah total, so 50% is 180Ah, and inverter usage would be a third of that. Well within the most conservative parameters.

There, properly labeled now:
    Attached Images
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

There is absolutely nothing wrong with installing an inverter on the house bank. Any good inverter will shut down at 50% or so of battery capacity so all house systems will still be functioning. And the bilge pumps run off of the start bank and not the house so no issue there. The OEM generator starts off of the start bank and not the house, but many/most have replaced the gen and now have their own dedicated battery.

Using the house bank reduces the number of batteries which reduces maintenance and weight and cost. It makes sense.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Either a house bank or dedicated inverter bank works. Its all about design.

Lead acid needs recharge time and energy. If it's not topped off it's bad for the batteries and the last few percent of charge takes a lot of extra power.

Running a dedicated inverter bank may not always be easy. Running 32 volts for an inverter bank is crazy. If you need add a small 24 volt inverter bank and set it up to charge from the 32 volt systems and an AC source.

It works when designed correctly. I've built a few.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

To accomplish the charging of my 12v inverter batteries while under way I installed a victron smart solar charger between the stb 32v battery bank and the 12v inverter bank. Batteries stay 100 percent all day . Wish I know years ago. Cheap / easy fix. Contact Scott Bickwid for details . Was a great help to me .
    Ocean Spirit
    1971 53 MY Hull #341

Real systems can be set to shut the inverter down before the batteries are dead. Also you can track watts and battery level accurately in the software .

I've set up a bunch of systems that charge from other sources than the inverter. Its a system solution not a 1 or 2 piece fix.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The 32v outback inverter has been discontinued for a few years now, so you have to go 24v on the inverter. I guess you switch your 32v battery charger off while the inverter is on, and then back on when you run the shore/generator.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL