Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Generator fuel line pickup

1973 38’ FBDC - Is the generator fuel line pickup in the port tank higher than the engine pickup?
    The generator is not getting fuel from a tank with about 1/4 full. Engines work fine.

Re: Generator fuel line pickup

Yes, so your gen doesn’t drain the tank.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Yes, so your gen doesn’t drain the tank.
    I never thought of that! So, your genny running will never leave you stranded.

I'm gonna have a stiff drink and start the holiday weekend, now that I've finally learned something new today.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

It s common and that’s the way most boats are set up. Remember than in most Hatteras a quarter tank on the gauge is a lot less than a quarter tank because of the shape of the keel tank.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We are changing out the generator pickup on the 34 with all the other work. At 1/2 tank the gen quits and then we have to go down and prime to restart. Will make deep. We are smart enough to manage our fuel use and not run out. But I get why the manufacturers would set it up this way.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We are changing out the generator pickup on the 34 with all the other work. At 1/2 tank the gen quits and then we have to go down and prime to restart. Will make deep. We are smart enough to manage our fuel use and not run out. But I get why the manufacturers would set it up this way.
    Maybe it’s your gauge that’s need’n adjust’n.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    What is the procedure to prime to restart? It's an electric fuel pump and I thought it would pick up the fuel as soon as it was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    What is the procedure to prime to restart? It's an electric fuel pump and I thought it would pick up the fuel as soon as it was available.
    Have to crack a line somewhere to get the air out. Then is starts right up.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP