Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Rust on stainless (cleats, fittings, etc)

I've used Colinite Metal polish on some of the stainless fittings on the front deck (cleats, etc). They looked great for a few weeks but are not starting show moderate surface rusting. The fittings I didn't clean are still fine, although they could use cleaning.

Is there something I should use to protect the stainless after cleaning it? This was never an issue on my Harley, so not sure what's going on.

Re: Rust on stainless (cleats, fittings, etc)

Typical in a saltwater environment. I even get a little bit in fresh water. After a good cleaning I usually wax the stainless. I’ve tried woody wax and that seems to work really well, it was recommended by one of the fellow Hatteras owners on this site.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Every time I wash the boat, I wipe Aluma-Guard on all the metal stuff. You can't do the ladder or anything requiring a sure grip.

It's a real hassle, but looks great. I doubt it's better than Woody Wax, but it's a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 05-22-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Woody Wax probably isn’t expensive if you use it as directed and considering it’s good for wood and fiberglass.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I'll have to try some of those suggestions.

Frustrating as I never had this issue on my Whalers ('79 17 montauk or '07 210 Outrage). Never a spot of rust on any of those fittings.

6. Re: Rust on stainless (cleats, fittings, etc)

WD-40 is the same as aluma-guard. It is good an all metals, protects and leaves a nice shine.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    I'll have to try some of those suggestions.

Frustrating as I never had this issue on my Whalers ('79 17 montauk or '07 210 Outrage). Never a spot of rust on any of those fittings.
    Are original Hatteras fittings problematic? I don’t have a spot of rust anywhere, and I never really do anything to them. I have many issues (lol), but rust spots isn’t one of them.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Are original Hatteras fittings problematic? I don’t have a spot of rust anywhere, and I never really do anything to them. I have many issues (lol), but rust spots isn’t one of them.
    I don’t either except around the mounting bolts. I think the salt works in there and can’t easily be rinsed away. What I do is paint those areas with phosphoric acid and rinse-maybe once a year. The rust stains go away and stay away. I’ve never waxed or otherwise treated my SS hardware beyond the mounting hardware.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Woody Wax probably isn’t expensive if you use it as directed and considering it’s good for wood and fiberglass.
    Fluid Film is another great productive like Woody's that is about $7-8/can
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears