Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Haulouts, bent shafts, and other fun stuff!

Did you take the couplings in with the shafts and have them faced? Have the wheels always turned inboard? Was that the same weather that flipped that lift boat off of Fourchon?
    Last edited by dsharp; 04-19-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    In total we were hauled for 3 weeks, with 2 weeks of actual work and 1 week waiting on shafts.
    Interesting post. Know anyone with a Snap-On injector tool?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Wow, sweet ride.

I'm a noob, just about 2 months into an 84' 52C and really enjoy seeing pics of every inch of other 52s as I go through it all.

One of the good things the previous owner did was put in an instant water heater. It hangs on the SB wall right behind the battery charger. (hope it doesn't leak) Getting back to that SB corner isn't too bad, but I can see where the old heater used to sit.
    Of course, after seeing some other wiring projects on this boat, I'm afraid to turn on that water heater because it might start melting. I'll get to it later.

Another month or two and I'll be able to put the hammer down...can't freakin' wait.
    Very interested in hearing about your instant hot water heater. You happen to have any pics of it? Or know what model/size it is? I'm definitely leaning that way but it's all a tradeoff. The instant units pull a load of amps and I'd have to run new wire and new breakers. Not a deal killer but definitely a bit of a pita.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I’m no “expurt” but I believe you should only adjust governor to achieve rated WOT RPMs. Cranking up an overloaded engine would just make things worse for wear. If you have full unloaded RPMs and are off loaded you need to look elsewhere. As told by my mechanic to me as we were sorting out my full RPM issues.
    I'm not adjusting the governor to get more rpm's, just advancing injector timing which will cause the fuel to be injected a little earlier in the cycle. This should add a little hp as well as other positive things (hopefully). We had our injectors rebuilt to be 5670's last year by rpm diesel in lauderdale. These are 145mm 9 hole tip injectors. I timed them to 1.508 when I did the full tuneup. After talking with RPM diesel after our seatrial they suggested we advance the timing to 1.484. We also have other symptoms of too retarded timing like egt's higher than I would like to see (700-800ish).

According to RPM our engines should be 675hp as they sit now. After re-timing them we should be at 715hp.

If that bump of 80hp does not get us over the hump it sounds like we could do a blower bypass mod and get to 780hp and just leave the existing props on and run the engines way underloaded.

The blower bypass mod definitely interests me b/c you are not boosting hp based on more fuel, you are essentially removing the parasitic drag of the blower at high rpm's when the turbos are boosting higher than the blower can flow. So in a high rpm state the turbos boost then the blower basically slows the air down. So in essence the blower bypass isn't adding horsepower, it's just taking away (bypassing) the load of the parasitic state of the blower at higher rpm's. But..... You can only do the blower bypass mod if your blower has the port for the blower bypass valve. If your blower doesn't have that port you should be able to replace the end cap of the blower with an updated end cap with the blower bypass port. I'm not certain if my blowers have the port or not, will find out this weekend. If they do not have the bypass port this mod will have to wait til winter.

Here is a blower with the bypass valve port.

Here is a blower without the bypass valve port.

And here is what the blower bypass valve looks like

Whether you need the extra hp or not the blower bypass sounds like a good mod to me. I cannot find any reason why taking an unnecessary 60+hp load off an engine (that is already heavily loaded) would be a bad thing.....

Our current cruise speed at 1950 is 19-20knts. I REALLY like that speed as a cruise speed, the boat is up on top and feels really nice there. So instead of going down in prop size (and loosing cruise speed) at this point I'd rather just get some more HP so my cruise speed stays at 20knts. It may not sound like much but when fishing 100+++ miles offshore a few knots cruise speed makes a HUGE difference.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 04-20-2021 at 09:25 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    Did you take the couplings in with the shafts and have them faced? Have the wheels always turned inboard? Was that the same weather that flipped that lift boat off of Fourchon?
    Yes, the couplings went with the shafts to be faced. The wheels only started turning inboard after we put the engines in on the wrong sides . The lift boat happened the day after our storm, it was like groundhog day a few days in a row, each morning with crazy storms, just the luck of the draw where they hit.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Interesting post. Know anyone with a Snap-On injector tool?
    Yeah buddy!! The bag's coming out this weekend!!
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Good looking boat. I am impressed by you doing the work yourself.
    Thanks, I enjoy some of the work, some of it is a pita, but in the end, if I'm doing it, it gets done. If I were relying on contractors I'd likely still be hauled out.

Virtually everything I've ever tried to contract out on boats has turned into a shit show. Several projects I contracted out I either had to re-do myself or hire another contractor to do it correctly.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

What's the white on the props and struts , Velox???.................Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    What's the white on the props and struts , Velox???.................Pat
    Petit Vivid in white. The white is VERY close to a hatteras white.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...SABEgINiPD_BwE
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thanks for sharing, great work.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's