Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Allison Transmission Fluid Level Check

All,

Our 43c has Allison transmissions and I am trying to figure out the proper procedure for checking the fluid level in each. I.e. check them cold? After they have been running? Check them while they are running etc? This is the first boat I have owned with Allisons. Thanks in advance!

Re: Allison Transmission Fluid Level Check

pretty sure they have to be checked when running and hot. to make it easier on yourself, run, get hot, fill to the full mark, then let it sit for a day and check cold with the engine off, make a new mark on the dipstick. this way you can check level before you fire up the engines and have to get into a hot engine room
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    pretty sure they have to be checked when running and hot. to make it easier on yourself, run, get hot, fill to the full mark, then let it sit for a day and check cold with the engine off, make a new mark on the dipstick. this way you can check level before you fire up the engines and have to get into a hot engine room
    Hand Salute! That is an excellent idea.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Exactly what I did..... (I think Pascal suggested it to me a while ago).
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Buy this man a cigar if you meet him. As I said on the other post, Gawd I love this place.

I have a 79 43C with 6v92ta's and that is exactly what I do.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Buy this man a cigar if you meet him. As I said on the other post, Gawd I love this place.I have a 79 43C with 6v92ta's and that is exactly what I do.
    So he helps you and now you want to give him cancer?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Yeah no. If the cold check was accurate Allison would have marked the sticks and had it in the procedure. DUH! I fire up the engines every morning and by the time I get the final engine room check the fluid level is stabilized and accurate. Doesn’t need to be red hot just running and the fluid circulating and stabilized. Pull the stick wipe the stick and recheck.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Check fluid when "running and hot".... Do you mean check the fluid level when underway (in forward) or with transmission in neutral and shaft not turning? Manual is not clear as to this specific procedure.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Hull # HATAN 432

Neutral
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

the reason they want it checked running and hot is because each boat/engine/hose /mount/cooler is different and the amount of oil will differ from one setup to the next and the cold level will be different on each setup. that is why i said to let it sit for a day so it will settle...allison may not put this in their books but a very well respected 32 year DD/Alison mechanic told me how to do it when he did the engine survey on my 46sf in 1999
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.