Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Davit Weight Capacity

I came across this davit (see pics) that I believe came off a 63 Hat.I've searched the forums and have seen several with this same silhouette. I've read capacity claims of 1000, 1200, 1500, and 1800lbs. Obviously they could have made the same looking davit, but in different sizes/ratings. Does anybody here have the same davit?
    Attached Images

Re: Davit Weight Capacity

Yeah they all look the same. I would pull the side covers and look for motor or winch rating labels otherwise it’s a guess.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Yeah they all look the same. I would pull the side covers and look for motor or winch rating labels otherwise it’s a guess.
    I was thinking I could possibly confirm by dimensions, if somebody on here knows for a fact what weight capacity their unit is.

The cable weight and carabiner looks a lot like a Marquipt product. You might reach out to Garnnet at Marquipt he might be able to help.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I think you are going to find that the weight rating is more dependent on the way it is mount than on the actual structural rating of the davit itself. My davit has a 1,500 lb winch and can be rated up to 1000 lbs, but the way it is mounted and set-up, it is only rated for 700 lbs.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 03-10-2021 at 09:09 AM. Reason: double post

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    I think you are going to find that the weight rating is more dependent on the way it is mount than on the actual structural rating of the davit itself. My davit has a 1,500 lb winch and can be rated up to 1000 lbs, but the way it is mounted and set-up, it is only rated for 700 lbs.
    How is yours mounted that you are losing 30% of it's capacity?

Mine is a simple boom type that consists of a 3" aluminum pipe that manually swivels around a vertical mount. It has a plate on the forward deck that supports the swivel mount. The base for the mount (3" pipe) passes through the deck, along the wall on the inside of the closet in the main stateroom and is then bolted into the stringer below the closet floor. The manual for the davit states that the a manufacturer's maximum working load rating for the davit is 1,000 lbs. A note from the installer written inside the cover of the manual states that the rating, as installed, is 700 lbs.

My point was that the davit itself could be rated for up to 2,000 lbs (for example) but how it is installed would be the determining factor in what it's ultimate capacity would be. I could put in some extra bracing and get mine up to the full manufacturer's rating but since all I'm having to lift is a 10' RIB, the current capacity rating is sufficient.

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou