Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

new depth sounder

My Standard Horizon depthsounder (NOT part of the chartplotter/sounder, but freestanding) finally got to the point where I couldn't read the digits. I bought two Furuno FI-70 units, and the NMEA2000 backbone and transducer, and had a marine electronics company up here do the install with me.

The install was not difficult. The hard part was getting the displays to do what I needed, which was just to put depth (and temp) in big numerals on the screen. It took about an hour on the phone with Furuno (who are semi-local) to get it done.

The setup of these units is not intuitive. The flexibility is amazing- they will do all kinds of things which I don't need, but maybe in the future. The other thing is that any NMEA2000 device can go on the backbone, as I understand it, and they will all talk to each other coherently. So if I ever have to suffer my beloved Northstar plotters being pried out of my hands, at least I will have alternatives....

Re: new depth sounder

Just replaced all my Raymarine stuff with Raymarine stuff. Figured the learning curve would be shallower. I was right. Arranging data is a piece of cake. The salon TV display helps me drive when I got ‘the game’ on. I too like the big nums on the plotters. Now I don’t need my readers.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Is that just an HDMI connect to display the info on the TV?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Is that just an HDMI connect to display the info on the TV?
    It's wireless from Raymarine Axiom plotter to TV. Requires a MicroSoft Wireless Display Adapter. Connects on startup, just have to select the HDMI port on TV.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Now that is cool. I have Garmin so I'll have to look into the wireless option. Thank you for the info Robert.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Now that is cool. I have Garmin so I'll have to look into the wireless option. Thank you for the info Robert.
    Of course. Bluetooth’s with iPhone as well thru RayRemote app. Handy for driving in the head.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 03-09-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    My Standard Horizon depthsounder (NOT part of the chartplotter/sounder, but freestanding) finally got to the point where I couldn't read the digits. I bought two Furuno FI-70 units, and the NMEA2000 backbone and transducer, and had a marine electronics company up here do the install with me.

The install was not difficult. The hard part was getting the displays to do what I needed, which was just to put depth (and temp) in big numerals on the screen. It took about an hour on the phone with Furuno (who are semi-local) to get it done.

The setup of these units is not intuitive. The flexibility is amazing- they will do all kinds of things which I don't need, but maybe in the future. The other thing is that any NMEA2000 device can go on the backbone, as I understand it, and they will all talk to each other coherently. So if I ever have to suffer my beloved Northstar plotters being pried out of my hands, at least I will have alternatives....
    Think how I feel trying to see swordfish 1400 feet down.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

RAC, can you control the auto pilot with your phone also?

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    It's wireless from Raymarine Axiom plotter to TV. Requires a MicroSoft Wireless Display Adapter. Connects on startup, just have to select the HDMI port on TV.
    Robert,

I installed and Axiom last year. Is there a setting in the Axiom unit to turn that on? Also does the wireless adapter connect to the Axion or the TV?

Thanks,
    Paul Kent (FINATIC III)