Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wood flooring

Wood flooring

Started the project to replace salon carpeting with real wood.
    I have been researching and debating the various options available after reading many posts here and online. Ideally a traditional teak and holly was my favorite, but plywood and synthetics did not appeal. So, I went with an oak strip planking. 3/8 inch by 2 inch.This cost about $7 a sq. ft.
    Gluing the grooves and nailing.
    The hatches on the 43 DC are a big challenge , as the 5 of them span the salon.
    All have been cut and dry fitted and about 1/2 has been nailed down. So far so good !!!
    Attached Images

Re: Wood flooring

Beautiful work. Can’t wait to see it with stain and varnish or just Varnish. Send some more photos.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I went with the 1/4" plywood teak and holly veneer. I love the look, but it is heavy and loud. Those old 6v92 screamers pierce right through it.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Good job, it looks great.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Struggling with the same decision on my 38FBDC. Installed hinges on the two large hatches which makes a world of difference in handling, but still heavy enough. Don't want to add too much more weight with flooring. Thinking vinyl or a thin, durable basement type carpet. The edges around around the hatches are a concern. Still undecided. There have been other postings on this topic which have been helpful and YouTube has some good videos too. Have 427 V8 300 hp that are not too noisy at my speed - 8 - 9 kts. @ 2300rpm.

Looks beautiful. You don't have a 6th hatch forward on the port side over the generator?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Yes there is a hatch there. I replaced the Old Onan beast with a much smaller Northern Lights 6.5 KW generator a few years ago.
    If I need to take it out I can drag it to the center for removal.
    Capt. Rob

Cool Re: Wood flooring

Finished the floor install with stain and sealer.
    Now replacing the stair treads down to the master. I found I could increase the steps from the original 8 inch carpeted to 9 1/2 inch solid wood. Definitely easier to transverse!
    Attached Images