Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust bolts

Mike36c Guest

Exhaust bolts

While cleaning up the engine room I noticed one of the four bolts that hold the elbow to the turbo was missing and another had worked its way half out on one of my new 330b's. The engines have only 70hrs. Question: Will regular locktite work? or is there some sort of hi temp stuff that will help keep these bolts in place.Any suggestions?

Genesis Guest

Castellated nuts

If you don't have them on the other end, get some!

They should have been used originally. They look like regular nuts but have a "domed" top with crimps at the corners, and "self lock", much like a nylock.

Nylocks will burn up, of course. So will loctite.

Mike36c Guest

Nutless

Genesis, the bolts go directly into the turbo (which is watercooled and I'm not sure how hot the bolts get). Would a regular stainless lock washer work? or would I need something fancy like inconel (have no idea where to find some). Would silkolene have a locking effect? Thanks for the help.

Genesis Guest

Ahh.....

In that case I'd use a split-ring lockwasher and a regular steel bolt, the bolt being Grade 8 if you can get it.

It'll get heat-tempered, but so will the bolt. Once they "lock up" due to the heat in the area I doubt they'll go anywhere. The Grade 8 is for superior strength, with the high temperature I'd use that.

That's what I do for my turbo flanges, but they're bolted through and have nuts on the other end (castellated nuts). I've had no trouble with them backing off, and once there for a while you have to use a lot of PB and plenty of time to get them apart - the problem I run into is the opposite (getting them apart without damage!)

I might try blue loctite too, but I don't know if that'll help you or actually hurt. You're WAY beyond its working temperature range and I don't know how it will behave at that temperature. You might try it but watch it closely for a couple of months.

Silkolene will probably not do much for locking the parts in place......

Mike35c Guest

bolts

I can get grade 8 bolts and lock washers just up the street. I'll give it a try, thanks for the help. Mike