Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

58LRC Shaft log problem

On our 1st voyage, I noticed water was dripping from the shaft on the starboard engine more that normal.

I'm not familiar with the type of packing setup on these vessels and expected to find a large packing nut that I could tighten. Instead I found a 2 flange setup with bolts that appear to compress the plates (and packing?). Can anyone explain how these work?

On further inspection, there is a crack in one of the plates. The boat is a the yard and was hauled for bottom paint. Them yard will need to pull the shaft to replace this part and the 4" (or so) rubber coupling.

I'm wondering if this is a problem that others have seen or if this is a rare problem. Also, wondering if I should change the other side while boat is on the hard?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

See pictures attached.
    Attached Images

Re: 58LRC Shaft log problem

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Also, wondering if I should change the other side while boat is on the hard?
    I would.... Maybe not cracked but subjected to the same wear and tear all those years. Cost of a seal plus a few hours for the people that are already there doing the same job same tools out of the shop versus another haulout/inconvenience/duplicate hours......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I had the same set up in my old Chris Craft. If there is still good packing left you just tighten one side at a time making sure to stay even. Tighten until the drip stops. Do not over tighten because you do want some water dripping while underway. You will have to take the shaft out to fix that crack on one of the brackets. Although not as easy to tighten as the big nut type this is still very simple to maintain. However while it’s out I would also have them re-pack each side. Whatever you do don’t let them just add a new piece of packing, rather have them pull all the old packing out and replace it with 4 to 5 new pieces.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Considering the age of the boat I would do the other side at the same time. And of course new packing hose and clamps.

I am having the packing done on both sides (full packing job, not top layer).

Regarding replacement of the other side flange, yard didn't recommend it at this time.

I was curious if this is an isolated incident possibly caused by the previous owner cranking down too hard or if this is a more common issue. As I've never worked with this type of packing/shaft log setup it is foreign to me. Looks like a more complicated setup than the regular jam nut arrangement.

It has also caused me to think about what I should carry onboard as a temporary way to stop the leaking in case a problem like this ever happens again or if the rubber hose were to rupture.

I would replace the hose every 5 years or so.... and since you don't know the age of yours......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

These may be available from Sam's, or if not, Groco or Buck-Algonquin. In any case, all this hardware ought to be replaced.

I refitted my boat with PSS seals, years ago, but that was before GoreTex packing material was available. If I were doing it now, I'd pull the shafts out, and have them checked for true and any damage, throw away all the old hardware and hoses, install all new pieces, with Gore-Tex packing. I would also spray all the new parts a few times with Corrosion-X BEFORE I put it all together; that way, bronze pieces will keep their color and not turn green and crusty over time. Traditional shaft logs are the safest alternative. PSS seals are excellent and I've had no trouble with mine, but the design is, I think, inherently less safe than a classic shaft log arrangement.

I had those type on a shamrock gas inboard I used to have. They were good, I like them better than the giant nut, easier to adjust imo.

If it were my boat and I was going through all the trouble of replacing them I'd go with pss (or similar brand) dripless shaft seals. Having a drier bilge is fantastic. They are a little more expensive but neither are cheap.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

What Rusty said, we like the Tides shaft seals.
    Those hoses are probably really old too, so you should probably do both sides.
    Like Silicone hose for the stuffing box, actually I like silicone hose for everything.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    I had those type on a shamrock gas inboard I used to have. They were good, I like them better than the giant nut, easier to adjust imo.

If it were my boat and I was going through all the trouble of replacing them I'd go with pss (or similar brand) dripless shaft seals. Having a drier bilge is fantastic. They are a little more expensive but neither are cheap.
    Do you have standard shaft logs now, or PSS? I' ve had the PSS seals for years, and they don't leak a drop, but I think Scott is right- he feels they are just not as safe as regular shaft logs. And now with GoreTex packing, the regular ones work better.