Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Starting Batteries for 32v - DC180-8'?

I know I sound like a madman every time I say this around here, because it isn't the cheapest option, but I would go with the Rolls batteries every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They last the better part of 15 years. You aren't getting that lifespan out of anything else on the market. I just want it to work right for as long as possible with as little hassle as possible, even if I don't save $1500. From that perspective, there is a clear choice here.

Oh also second the guy who pointed out the obvious problem with a single starting bank for both engines, if that's the setup I would fix that. Or at least carry a spare battery and some jumper cables onboard, because you will eventually need it with no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I know I sound like a madman every time I say this around here, because it isn't the cheapest option, but I would go with the Rolls batteries every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They last the better part of 15 years. You aren't getting that lifespan out of anything else on the market. I just want it to work right for as long as possible with as little hassle as possible, even if I don't save $1500. From that perspective, there is a clear choice here.
    I'm not looking for the cheapest option, nor the most expensive option.... I'm looking for the optimum option.

The existing batteries lasted almost 5 years to the month.

Just wanted to add, it is my opinion that the Rolls is a VERY WELL designed battery and it bears thinking about the labor and hassle of changing batteries an additional evolution (or two) of batteries. Wish they made a 8V AGM... It a ROYAL PIA for me to water my batteries, and since we are humans, that tends to not get done as often as it should in my world.
    Last edited by JD5652; 01-12-2024 at 04:31 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    . It a ROYAL PIA for me to water my batteries, and since we are humans, that tends to not get done as often as it should in my world.
    Install a battery water net. I'm sure there is a better name for it.
    The original batt caps are replaced with an interconnected sealed cap, some with a float like a carburetor, Fill at one point and all get leveled to a fine line.

I went with GC8s years ago, and added back a 3rd bank as a backup (and selector to send to either bank) when I added the inverter function to the house side. Have a 2nd gen with dedicated start battery also. Have 2 smart chargers with 3 banks of capacity. We all seem to manage this pinch point slightly differently, and it's fun to read about the various solutions.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

To close the loop on my part of this thread.... I decided to go with (4) Full River DC200-8 for the starting bank and (4) Full River DC200-8 for the house bank.

Since my start batteries are failing, I needed to go forward quickly. At this time I don't have the bandwidth (aka, time) to add an additional (4) batteries and rewire to have each engine on it's own starting bank.

I will be installing the Analytic Systems BCA-1505 charger to service these batteries.

The support team at DC Batteries in Miami reported that many people are getting over 7 years service out of these in marine environments.

The two things that swayed my decision from Rolls to these was:

1. No maintenance/watering
    2. Each of these batteries weighs 86 pounds versus 140 pounds for the Rolls. This means I can DIY this job and makes overall handling much easier.
    Last edited by JD5652; 01-15-2024 at 04:08 PM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I'm in the same position needing to replace both banks of batteries (32V) prior to the upcoming season. I would love to switch to AGM mostly because I hated the caustic environment created by the failing flooded cell batteries and overcharging. Really bad for the equipment down there plus can't be healthy for your skin or lungs. (This is the generator room below the galley).
    My question is if all is functioning as intended (batteries/charger etc) is the gas off minimal and hardly noticeable? There is passive ventilation down there plus the powered ventilation but I don't want to have to run the blower all the time.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    To close the loop on my part of this thread.... I decided to go with (4) Full River DC200-8 for the starting bank and (4) Full River DC200-8 for the house bank.

Since my start batteries are failing, I needed to go forward quickly. At this time I don't have the bandwidth (aka, time) to add an additional (4) batteries and rewire to have each engine on it's own starting bank.

I will be installing the Analytic Systems BCA-1505 charger to service these batteries.

The support team at DC Batteries in Miami reported that many people are getting over 7 years service out of these in marine environments.

The two things that swayed my decision from Rolls to these was:

1. No maintenance/watering
    2. Each of these batteries weighs 86 pounds versus 140 pounds for the Rolls. This means I can DIY this job and makes overall handling much easier.
    I did the same over a year ago for the same reasons , so far , no regrets.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

JD, nothing to do with the batteries this thread is all about - but I noticed in one of your previous photos what looks like cone shaped air filters on your engines. Did you modify the original metal breathers to accept these?

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    JD, nothing to do with the batteries this thread is all about - but I noticed in one of your previous photos what looks like cone shaped air filters on your engines. Did you modify the original metal breathers to accept these?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim -

This is done by a previous owner and yes the breather section was modified to accept the Walker air Sep filters.

I can get you some close-up photos if you want.

Back to batteries... how's your Full River batteries serving you?
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL