Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Window channel felt replacement on the 53'

One of the projects on the list is to replace the window channel felt in the galley windows. Has anyone done this and what/where did your source it? It looks like standard automotive stuff. If you've done this would you please share dimensions, etc.

Thanks

Robert

Re: Window channel felt replacement on the 53'

Looking forward to everyone’s response. This is one of my projects as well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Sams, sold by the foot. Worth doing the plastic glides as well. There are two different size plastic guides so you’ll have to know that info. I have all the materials but have been putting this off for 6 months now. I’m told it’s easy as long as the tracks haven’t swelled from corrosion.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Is the procedure documented here on the forum? If not can anyone post up with instructions as I need to do this too on my salon windows.

This would be a good one for the sticky page.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Hi,
    I did my windows (replaced the fur weather stripping) twice already on my boat. I posted on how I approached it in a post on this form under "Lake of the Woods" (September 15, 2014). If you look it up it has some helpful tips. I purchased the weatherstripping from Sams but it is almost identical to what is used in sliding patio doors (glass shops also carry it). There is also some rubber weatherstripping that is vertical between the windows. Sam's has it as well. It is an inexpensive project to undertake and easy to do. Also it is a nice time to really clean your windows and apply some RaninX so that water beads away. You may only have to replace the fur weather stripping on the bottom tracks of the window frame (3 tracks per window x 2 sides per track, so one 6 foot long window needs about 36 feet of weather stripping to just do the bottom of the track). I found the sides and top window tracks were in very good shape and did not need to be replaced. I'm in fresh water so salt water boats may need to do the sides and tops if it has not been done in 10 years or more.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC Series 1

Sams will know what you need. Tell them what boat you have and they will even know how many feet of material.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I did my salon windows on my 42c complete last winter. All sliders and wools were from Sams as I was in FT Lauderdale just before covid hit. The wool and sliders were original and a long day in the workshop digging it out an inch at a time. Just the bottom, top and sides pulled right out, the frames were removed. I had two sizes of slide but replaced it with one size as per Sams. Get a set of picks from Harbor Freight and paint can opener for the install of the wool. The slide snaps in with a firm push with a wood block.

Walt Hoover