Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

8v71TIs engine overhaul kits

Hello guys, question,

Is there a specific overhaul kit for 8v71Ti I can purchase from Detroit for pistons, rods, bearings, gaskets ect...?

I'm planning on overhauling at the end of the hurricane season. I'd like to have the kits as well as anything else needed on hand ahead of time. Thank you
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: 8v71TIs engine overhaul kits

Reliable Industries, Powerline Components, Diesel Parts Direct will all put together an overhaul kit for you.

71 series needs the sleeves to be measured and fitted.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 08-07-2020 at 11:21 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You really need to get the engine apart to get the correct liners, there are several sizes.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    You really need to get the engine apart to get the correct liners, there are several sizes.
    Yes, there is a correct static fit between the outside of the liners and the block. Also adjustments on the sleeve length to the deck / head. If your not DDC heavy, May I suggest a shop that can build and dyno your engine?
    It is a lil more than working on Daddy s Chevy.
    Boring and hand fitting the liners into the block is more of a feel vs a spec. If the liner length needs adjustment, a hand grinder is not going to work either.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-07-2020 at 09:59 PM.

I did both my 12/71’s in 02. Pretty much everything you need to know is in the book. Took me 3 weeks tear down to start up. But I have the boat behind the house and a full shop at the house. I took my time and everything was removed stripped of paint and sprayed with Imron including the 2 piece oil pans. At the time I had my 18 yo son and a 70yo retired bus mechanic for help. I honed he measured. By the time I got done 24 cylinders my arms looked like Popeyes. But when you drop the liner in and it slides in with that perfect zip thunk sound it’s very satisfying. One thing that’s crucial is you need to flush every bit of the honing material out of the block. I took the pump out of my parts washer lined under the engines with heavy plastic and created basically a giant parts washer. I think I went through 25 gallons of mineral spirits. You’ll need a 4’ breaker bar for rolling the engine over the liner removal tool and a 400 lb torque wrench. Plus the typical tune up tools. Start working out and lifting weights now cause this ain’t a job for weaklings.
    Last edited by rsmith; 08-08-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The original liner size will be stamped on the block. RSmith is correct. The liner should be a full side contact tight fit. If fitted properly, they dont go in easily, but finally, lined up perfectly, that metallic zip and thunk sound is quite satisfying.