Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Outback VFX3232M

My issue with LiFePo is that I will not use them enough and they will die of old age long before I get close to using the cycles. If I was using the inverter a lot, they would make more sense.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by sixty View Post
    The two legs in your panel are each fed from a single line of 240v to neutral. In order to keep this functioning you will need a 240v inverter and use a 120v transformer to "create" the neutral leg. this will be complicated especially if you already have an isolation transformer on board doing the same thing. Alternately you could relocate the circuits you want on the inverter to one leg of the 240v and feed just that leg with 120v from the inverter.

There are tons of options and all seem to be compromise.
    Not true. An inverter with dual inputs and outputs like the Magnum will take each 120v Legs and pass thru or output to Each legs of the panel. The only thing you won’t have is 240v service
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Never seen one like that.

The Victron quattro has 2 inputs. 1 will prioritize. If it's not powered it will look at the second input.
    The 2 outputs are 1 pass through only when powered and another with invert / pass through.

If you dont understand the inputs think of them as ship(dock power) and genny(ships power) on an automatic switch.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Not true. An inverter with dual inputs and outputs like the Magnum will take each 120v Legs and pass thru or output to Each legs of the panel. The only thing you won’t have is 240v service
    Or...........Just treat it like a second generator and forget the pass through. Then you can feed everything in the boat and don't have to choose which circuits are on the inverter. It will require manual switching but that's not a big deal when all of the switching is right there in the pilothouse.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

When I re install an inverter on my boat that’s how i will hook it up
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I wasn't aware magnum had a model that had dual pass through. I find it a litte ofd that they didn't take the simple next step and split phase the inverter to proved 240/120 but im sure it makes sense. I have a magnum on my 36' sedan amd it has been great.With modern technology there are tons of options out there. Im hoping LiFePo technology gets much cheaper in the future.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Or...........Just treat it like a second generator and forget the pass through. Then you can feed everything in the boat and don't have to choose which circuits are on the inverter. It will require manual switching but that's not a big deal when all of the switching is right there in the pilothouse.
    That is my plan. The passthrough isn't enough amps to use. And we turn things off anyways, when we unhook from shore power, so that doesn't matter to us.

Regarding the legs, I may just move the fridge to the other side, then I think I am covered.

Here are a couple options with two inverters or one (240v) inverter and an auto transformer.

https://shop.pkys.com/split-phase-inverter.html

I think of those two options, I prefer the two inverter option. The cost is about the same, and even though it isn't load balanced, that doesn't really matter since I will have 3000w on each leg anyways, which is all I am sizing the batteries for. And I could later increase the battery capacity.

Finally, and I need to check this throughly, when not connected to gen or shore power, the two legs are independent. Thus, I could probably connect both to one inverter and then not have to move any loads between the two sides.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Do you know which Magnum does this? The PAE series does split phase for both the passthrough and the inverter, but can it be used in a boat?

64-0032 Rev C | MS-PAE Series Owners Manual

Y
    ou can see a diagram on page 7.

Sorry, the MS series does exactly as you say...

4-0007 Rev F MS Series
    Last edited by Photolomy; 06-16-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Yes MS 4024 which has automatic N to G bonding in inverter mode but disconnects the bonding when connected to a power source. This is a must on a boat which is why off grid inverters should not be used
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post

Regarding the legs, I may just move the fridge to the other side, then I think I am covered.
    No need to move it. You can power both legs with when set up as a separate input source. You just can't use any of the 240v loads.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI