Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hynautic Steering Relief Valve

The relief valve on my Hynautic Steering has started leaking inside the screw hole where it mounts. I cannot read the numbers on it but there are two options MSV 21 and MSV 19. The first is 950 psi rated and the latter 500 psi. Does anyone know if there is a way, other than the markings, to determine which size valve I need? I have two helms, well actually 3, but I removed one.

IMG_0943.jpg

Re: Hynautic Steering Relief Valve

Seems like a weird place to leak. I'd grab the phone and get a hold of Sam's or Seastar. There may be a reason for one over the other that's not based on just pressure.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    The relief valve on my Hynautic Steering has started leaking inside the screw hole where it mounts. I cannot read the numbers on it but there are two options MSV 21 and MSV 19. The first is 950 psi rated and the latter 500 psi. Does anyone know if there is a way, other than the markings, to determine which size valve I need? I have two helms, well actually 3, but I removed one.Attachment 40745
    Sams?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I may give them a call but its not Hatteras specific. I got a Middle Grounds trip Friday so either gonna have to fix it or take some extra fluid. Its been leaking about half a quart in 60 miles.I thought it was the o ring on top for the bleed screws but replaced and found it was leaking inside the hole where the screw goes through

It's probably something they know about. That's why they're here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I may give them a call but its not Hatteras specific. I got a Middle Grounds trip Friday so either gonna have to fix it or take some extra fluid. Its been leaking about half a quart in 60 miles.I thought it was the o ring on top for the bleed screws but replaced and found it was leaking inside the hole where the screw goes through
    Probably reduce the pressure to 5-10 psi to slow it down. Should still steer there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I think Sam's has the parts on the site. Look up MSV. theres 3 options. If you call they can confirm which one you need.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I think almost all of them are 950psi. I couldn't even find a 500psi in stock anywhere. I just replaced mine for around $220 shipped because somebody busted off the screwheads and I couldn't open the reliefs to bleed.

I emailed hynautic (sea star) tech support and they said the relief valve is for the hoses/lines....the helms can handle the 500 or 950 psi.

My boat came with a 500psi in 1968, but it looks like it was changed at some point. You hardly hit against the relief valve anyway.....to bleed I open the valves to reduce stress on all components.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Probably reduce the pressure to 5-10 psi to slow it down. Should still steer there.
    Thats where its been. Let the pressure off when I changed the o ring and it quit leaking. aired back to 10 psi and what you see in the pic started again

The HS -4 helm pumps use the 950 psi relief valve.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL