Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Using Your Hatteras To Avoid Coronavirus

How's that for making it Hatteras related?

I know some frown on political discussion, but this is a pretty diverse group that even includes some medical professionals. No doubt we've all been exposed to the sensationalism and the politics of this impending pandemic that really and truly shouldn't be political.

I was bored last night and caught this on FOX News. It was released earlier today, and I thought I would share. It's definitely worth a listen, and if you don't think this thing can affect the boating market, think again. Hell, it might actually promote the idea of living aboard your own, self-sufficient island.

https://youtu.be/IqDrZYNafAg
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Using Your Hatteras To Avoid Coronavirus

I’ve read that the very wealthy plan on taking their private jets to their ranches in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho until this is over. There is also talk of riding it out on their yachts. Coincidentally, the guy that owns the Baltimore Ravens passed through here a couple of days ago, or at least his 130’ Westport, Winning Drive, did.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Wow. A very social lifestyle becomes isolationist.

I'm taking my cue from Mexico. Protect the Corona from contamination with a lime.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If one were really bored, I'm sure they could go back some 13 years and see where I talked about moving my family to Grand Cayman to live on the 58. This as I was totally convinced what we saw on 9/11 would be a drop in the bucket compared to what was coming next. There were other factors, but that was a big one.

From what I'm seeing, there is no real reason to worry about this virus unless you're in poor health or elderly. Then again, if this virus were much, much worse than advertised, I don't know that I trust our government or the media to give us the true story. Adding mass hysteria wouldn't help matters.

Maybe I should provision the 41, just in case. I would worry more about people trying to steal my supplies from my home if things really get bad. Being on a boat in the middle of a big area of the lake would be safer than being at home. It would allow for longer shots.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Wow. A very social lifestyle becomes isolationist.

I'm taking my cue from Mexico. Protect the Corona from contamination with a lime.
    I say we just organize big raft up's if things really get rough. Safety in numbers, that kind of thing.

We could always say it was another HOF rendezvous to keep us from looking panicky or something.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Well, elderly in this case seems to be over 60, with over 70 getting really scary. Ironically, the influenza of 1918 killed the young and spared the old, by and large. Now if you have an underlying respiratory condition or a compromised immune system you are at a heightened risk no matter how old you are. And if you are over 70 with either of those conditions getting this disease is nearly a death sentence. About all you can do in that case is to hope you get it early in the outbreak before all the ICUs are full and there is a ventilator available for you. Then pray.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Well, you can add me to the over 60 crowd, and while I'm healthy, the prospect of trying to get medical attention in a hospital is a bit unnerving if faced with this on a large scale. It wouldn't be the first time I went into a hospital or doctor's office and came out sicker than when I went in.

That does it, I'm rafting up with Dr. Jim!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I’ve talk to a number of doctors who are friends of mine about this. They say people just need to calm down. This is just the flu and it’s affecting the elderly only. Guess what, 60,000 people died in the United States last year of the flu including young children middle-aged and older people. I’m not saying not to be safe. If you’re worried about it avoid crowds, wash your hands and don’t touch your face or nose. The one thing I’m having a hardship with his people hoarding things like paper towels and toilet paper. Why would you record toilet paper? Do you think you’re going to get screaming diarrhea. I can understand hoarding food but toilet paper? Just crazy tell everybody just to calm the hell down.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Personally, I’m pre-disastered. If what’s crawling around in the bilges hasn’t got me... I may be elderly, but I have the immune system of an 18 year old.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I’ve talk to a number of doctors who are friends of mine about this. They say people just need to calm down. This is just the flu and it’s affecting the elderly only. Guess what, 60,000 people died in the United States last year of the flu including young children middle-aged and older people. I’m not saying not to be safe. If you’re worried about it avoid crowds, wash your hands and don’t touch your face or nose. The one thing I’m having a hardship with his people hoarding things like paper towels and toilet paper. Why would you record toilet paper? Do you think you’re going to get screaming diarrhea. I can understand hoarding food but toilet paper? Just crazy tell everybody just to calm the hell down.
    My doctor says the same thing. It's the unknown's that have everybody torn up about this thing. I haven't seen any of the silliness about stocking up with everything under the sun around here, but small town folks don't get as excited about these type things.

Now the mere mention of snow will wipe out all the milk and bread in a matter of hours, but this seems to be just another scary thing that will never materialize. Let's just hope it stays that way. I want to die a more exciting death myself.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93