Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

ANL-50 32V Fuse...Are they all created equal?

We are having some charging issues and I found a Bussmann ANL-50 fuse that appears to have blown. It is the fuse that is in the Guest electrical box in the starboard engine room. It is labeled, "Battery Charger 50A"

When I check for potential across it with the battery charger set to "Low" I get 6.7V, so I am thinking that if it were not blown there should not be much, if any, potential across the two ends of the fuse. (I am no electrician and I have never worked with this type of fuse before.)

I have looked online a bit for this type of fuse and have seen prices that go from $80 something down to $2.33 each for something that looks to be the proper size and claims to be a 50amp 32V ANL fuse. (They come in a pack of 5 with free shipping!) It sounds too good to be true...but $80 is ridiculous too!)

Does anyone have any experience with purchasing non-Bussmann/Eaton fuses for use in the 32 volt systems?
    IMG_1602.jpg

Thanks,
    Nick
    1984 53' Extended Deckhouse
    "Laissez Faire"
    Delivered 1-1-86 (per Sam's)
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Re: ANL-50 32V Fuse...Are they all created equal?

Order it from Sams and you'll be sure to get the right fuse.

And you'll feel good that you're supporting this forum's owner.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky,

I always think of ordering from Sam's first because I depend on this forum. I have purchased a number of things from them and certainly appreciate them as a source of knowledge about my boat.

As I am not sure if the fuse is the cause of my problem or if it is a symptom of the problem, I have to allow for the possibility that I will find out that I need at least one more fuse before I correct the underlying problem.

Our budget is tighter than we would like for it to be and finding brand name replacement parts that are selling for significantly less than the $27.75 plus shipping each that Sam's is asking for the fuse tests my loyalty - especially if I need more than one.

Maybe I am cheap, but maybe I am just poorer than I would wish.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

ANL- 50 fuses have the same specs. 32vac and 80vdc. Your fuse looks blown. On a good fuse you should get no voltage across the fuse. A blown fuse could read voltage across when power is on.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Thanks Tony!

Continued investigation tells me that the cheapest ones are "gold tone plated". The ones I am replacing are silver plated. That might be the differentiator between $2.33 ones and the more expensive ones.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

Nick I might have a 50 on my boat but will not be there until after Christmas. If you still need it then call me on the Friday after Christmas and I’ll verify.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty,

Thanks for the offer, but when I thought about the fact that my 6 month old batteries were severely discharged I figured that I should get them charged again ASAP.

West Marine had the fuse I needed and I ordered a couple more as backups (through another source). So I have that requirement covered.

I installed the replacement fuse and the batteries are now back to full charge. I will be starting the engine later today and will see if the problem recurs or if it was a fluke.

Thanks again for the offer.

Nick
    "Laissez Faire"
    Hull #CN737
    Sausalito, CA

I agree, all ANL fuses "should" be the same. the cheaper ones are definitely lower quality however I have installed them on my panel and they work fine.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick in Manitou View Post
    Rusty,

Thanks for the offer, but when I thought about the fact that my 6 month old batteries were severely discharged I figured that I should get them charged again ASAP.

West Marine had the fuse I needed and I ordered a couple more as backups (through another source). So I have that requirement covered.

I installed the replacement fuse and the batteries are now back to full charge. I will be starting the engine later today and will see if the problem recurs or if it was a fluke.

Thanks again for the offer.

Nick
    Great news cheap fix.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California