Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: "Galley" Window replacement

Just got into this on port galley window on my 1986 54' Hat. Unsurprisingly, someone in the past has sealed the glass in the frame so it could not be removed. However I got lucky and was able to break the old caulk out thru careful use of shims around the frame working slowly until I had the frame out far enough to lift out. I saw either in this thread or another one where someone was using epoxy to protect the exposed core. I do have some rotted wood, or rather did have. I dug that out down to solid wood, and have decided to drop some plywood fillers in there then gradually fill around the plywood with epoxy. Once everything has hardened, I will be rebedding the frame into the opening using 3M 4000 non-hardening silicone. I plan to run 2 large beads of caulk on the inside of the frame and then wait to seat it for a few minutes. The frame design prohibits the shim trick to allow for extra tightening, but my biggest worry is that the laminate inside has separated from the core and needs to be reglued before I reinstall the window. If it wasn't for all the information I have found on the forums I would be lost in this project. And yes, my boat is backward - the dining table is to port and the galley to starboard. Interestingly enough, the starboard window (which still opens BTW) has not leaked thru the storms we've gotten in the month we've lived aboard.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Re: "Galley" Window replacement

And after a couple of false starts the window is back in and does not leak. Just found it interesting that while cleaning the tracks out I was in fact able to lift the glass out finally after literally wire-wheeling the tracks. The furry part is still intact, there was just that much dirt and crud built up in the track. Thanks to the advice on here I was able to get the glass out, which would have made the whole process a lot easier, but it's back in. Thanks all!
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL