Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starter Relay

Starter Relay

Engines started normally, pumped out and added fuel and went to start engines. STBD engine wouldn't start, but starter relay on wall clicked, but starter solenoid did not. After looking at it for 5 minutes, I decided to manually start it by connecting the starter solenoid (on starter) to power, and it started right up. Went ahead with the cruise and back to dock. Naturally, the engine still does not start by the button. I will check the connections, but I suspect it is the relay on the wall. Does anyone have the part number for these relays? I will go ahead and replace both and keep the one good one as a spare.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Starter Relay

Fuse?

Which relay?

Post a picture
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Try Sam's before anyone else. Even if they don't stock it, they are likely to know what it is.

Fuse is fine, I replaced those a couple trips ago...

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?32463-STBD-Engine-Electrical-Issue&highlight=starter+fuse

Actually, there is a picture of the relay in that post. I searched Sams for "Relay", didn't see anything for the starter. I'll call them tomorrow.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

It's a standard ford type
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Fuse is fine, I replaced those a couple trips ago...https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...t=starter+fuseActually, there is a picture of the relay in that post. I searched Sams for "Relay", didn't see anything for the starter. I'll call them tomorrow.
    Did you check the fuse this time? Must’ve been a reason you replaced them. You could jump the relay before replacing it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I didn't physically check the fuse. I assume it was ok because I could hear the relay click when we pushed the button on the helm, and the symptom last time was that the relay didn't even click when the fuse was blown. That seemed to leave the starter solenoid as the culprit. After opening the side panel in the hallway, I thought I would try hot wiring it, and it started. So, it seems that the starter solenoid is ok, as well as the starter. I will try to jump it at the relay. I didn't do that this time, because I thought the problem was after the relay at first (since it was clicking).
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

It's a Cole Hersee ford type solenoid relay.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 11-03-2019 at 06:49 PM.

I found this ...

http://www.apimarine.com/marine-electrical/delco-solenoid-100-amp-r036-18-6264.html

They are located in Florida also, so they be here Wednesday. I'll replace both.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL