Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1965 aft cabin. Pondering engine rebuild.

I have 1965 41DC (aft cabin). I had the heads of both engines rebuilt about 10 years ago. I am interested in having the block/pistons/rings hones and rebuilt. Chrysler Engines.
    -Anyone has experience in taking the engines out? Any advice?
    -Did you simply have the engines rebuilt or did you replace them with more modern engines?
    -Approximate cost?

The reason for a possible rebuild of the lower half is the port engine compression is around 120-140 psi when it should be around 160-180 psi.

Or is it even worth it??
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: 1965 aft cabin. Pondering engine rebuild.

Do they run well? If they are running okay, I would probably leave them in. The cost of rebuilding them including getting them in and out would be formidable. Your b oat would not be worth more afterwards; gas engine big boats are not worth much. If your engines are running well, I'd leave them in. I would not repower with a different brand of gas engine, either. That's a lot of refitting for nothing. Chrysler doesn't make marine engines any more, but you can get a set of rebuilds, if and when you have to, even down the road.

^What he said.
    The labor required to extract a gas engine and spot a rebuild is not worth it.

If it's really bothering you, sell the boat for what you can and buy something you are more comfortable with. You will be way ahead $ wise.

The plus of going with modern power is electronic ignition and fuel injection. The negative is taking a new engine apart down to the long block to get it through the side door, then you have to put it all back together. If I was going new I would go with Crusaders. The problem with rebuilding is finding a competent machine shop to do the machining work. Then by the time you pay someone to clean up/repaint the old parts you aren't too far off from new engine prices. If you decide to rebuild replace the fuel pumps and risers. I have seen failures of both parts take out new/rebuilt long blocks. It can also be difficult to find someone that can work neatly and not beat the boat all to hell with the a-frame, heavy parts, etc. The work that you've done so far really looks nice.

Replace them. It’s not that big a deal compared to other models, especially diesel, that would very much be a big deal. Mine was updated with 7.4 MerCruisers. You can find late model RTO’s if you don’t want to go new/reman. Either that or pull and rebuild what you have.

Those big salon windows come in handy for such things, but you’ll have to pull them out. Come in from the side with a boom, then it’s up and out.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The new fuel injected gassers sure are sweet! If full MPI is out of the price ballpark a TBI is very affordable and kinda gives the best of both worlds, simplicity similar to a carb, but instant start and smooth running of MPI.

If I had a gas boat in need of rebuild, no way I'd put a carb engine back in it, minimum of TBI but would prefer MPI.

Several aftermarket suppliers to satisfy this market, I'd probably be looking at PCM or similar.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Beautiful boat and great job on the restoration!

Our 24 Ft. Century picnic boat is powered by a 318 Chrysler marine engine. Did a restoration on the boat awhile ago and upgraded fuel and ignition systems on the engine.

Agree with others that I would not change the make and model of powetrain as it's a lot of extra work and definitely would not go with more modern due to unrecoverable cost and the complexity of trying to upgrade things like the fuel system (return lines, electric fuel pumps, etc, etc) required for EFI/TBI/MPI engines.

What I would do is scout Craigslist in the Great Lakes area as those Chryslers are a dime a dozen and buy me a set of used ones that are the same as what you've got. Then I'd take my time and rebuild those engines and when ready swap them into the boat. Even if you decided to hold off on the install, selling a boat with an extra pair of engines, especially of that vintage is likely to be a very positive thing.

Lastly, I don't know about Chicago, but here in Detroit there are still quite a few automotive machine shops that do short block, long block and full engine rebuilds where older Ford, Gm and Chrysler engines are still their bread and butter.

Other option might be Summit Racing house brand for long blocks.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Are your readings on every cylinder 120-140? If they are consistent on all 8 cylinders, I'd say you likely have good engines. Compression readings are notorious for being precise, but not accurate.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

OP has spent a TON of hours restoring this thing. I don't think it's about the money it's about preservation. And now he wants the engines to be as close as they can be to perfect.

I know a lot of car people. They buy something for 20K, put in 80K and now it's worth 50K. It's not about the money. Been there done that. (not quite as bad, but bad enough).

So to OP I get you. If it were mine I would run it for a little longer while I keep an eye on them and build the kitty. Then I would take them out and have the bottom ends redone. Maybe the heads will still be OK. Then I would research getting some in- or barely visible upgrades along the lines of electronic ignition and possibly fuel injection. Save the money rebuilding carbs and such, improve the efficiency and reduce the maintenance. And, have the opportunity to clean up and paint the engine room. Gonna look mighty spiffy when you get done. Play your cards right it won't cost TOO much. (The cost certainly won't be "formidable".) You will have to put elbow grease into it, but it's clear you're doing that anyways.

Yeah, modern motors would be nice, but you will indeed not see more than a few dimes on the dollar back when you sell. If you ever plan on doing that of course. So, that's up to you......
    Last edited by oscarvan; 10-29-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Well, if you're going to go to the trouble of having the engines rebuilt, adding EFI to them would be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of pulling them out, overhauling them or installing new short blocks, and putting them back in. You might have to look around a bit for marine-approved EFI, though. If I recall right, you have to have a high-pressure pump at the tank, etc. I wonder if any of the companies building add-on EFI have a marine version of it. I've never thought to look. You could look in Summit or Jeg's to see.

But I think unless the engines are misbehaving in some way, you should just continue to use them and ponder your options.

It IS a beautiful boat after all the work you've put in. As long as you're willing to admit it's totally irrational, think about putting new engines or short blocks. After all, we're all crazy here. You aren't going to be criticized around this place for sinking money into your boat.