Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Possible OhNo MDL4 issue.

I haven't got around to installing the new Kohler genset yet.. but it looks great on the trailer. The boat has been at UT stadium for the last 2 month, and running on the OhNo. Sunday, the Bosch Axxis dryer wouldn't run, and no dispay.. just dead. The washer, which plugs into the dryer, works fine, but it's 120v. I thought maybe I lost a leg form the breaker or plug.. so I measured voltage at the outlet and got 247!.. checked 120v outlets and got 123.xx.. the panel gauge showed 247 as well and the dryer was rated 208 to 240.. I loaded up the genny with hot water heater, oven, etc, and it just got to 240.. The voltage is adjustable in on the control board.. but what does everybody else run, light and heavy load?

Re: Possible OhNo MDL4 issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I haven't got around to installing the new Kohler genset yet.. but it looks great on the trailer. The boat has been at UT stadium for the last 2 month, and running on the OhNo. Sunday, the Bosch Axxis dryer wouldn't run, and no dispay.. just dead. The washer, which plugs into the dryer, works fine, but it's 120v. I thought maybe I lost a leg form the breaker or plug.. so I measured voltage at the outlet and got 247!.. checked 120v outlets and got 123.xx.. the panel gauge showed 247 as well and the dryer was rated 208 to 240.. I loaded up the genny with hot water heater, oven, etc, and it just got to 240.. The voltage is adjustable in on the control board.. but what does everybody else run, light and heavy load?
    Is there a reset button on the back of the dryer?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

There is a reset but it only controls the heating element. The dryer appears dead, but there is voltage passing through. I'm thinking the control board is fried because the outlet voltage is high.. So I'm wondered what other generators are putting out.. I'm thinking 220v is nominally what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    There is a reset but it only controls the heating element. The dryer appears dead, but there is voltage passing through. I'm thinking the control board is fried because the outlet voltage is high.. So I'm wondered what other generators are putting out.. I'm thinking 220v is nominally what it should be.
    My NL 20KW does put out 220V nominal. Always worry about stuff because marina voltage is about 208 lightly loaded up. I heard Bosch has a pretty good help line. Good luck,
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I really doubt 247 is going fry anything. I usually see 230-240

Modern appliances are very sensitive to frequency especially induction cook tops, dishwashers etc. did i you check the frequency? I like keeping it around 61 or 62kz no load so it runs close to 59/60 he loaded

Does the dryer work on shorepower now?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I really doubt 247 is going fry anything. I usually see 230-240

Modern appliances are very sensitive to frequency especially induction cook tops, dishwashers etc. did i you check the frequency? I like keeping it around 61 or 62kz no load so it runs close to 59/60 he loaded

Does the dryer work on shorepower now?
    It'll be another week before I can try it on shore power. Lightly loaded, I'm seeing 247v and 62hrz. Moderate load, 240v, 60hrz. Dryer has a tag saying 208v to 240v.. I think the old thin twin would have shrugged 7v off. This Bosch Axxis has digital controls. I'm going to wait til I'm back in the slip to do much else with it. I'm just worried 247v may be bad for the ac's, etc

Prior to Sandy our local utility supplied 250V. After they lost one of the plants it dropped to 240 and it seems to be staying there. But I've never heard of any issues with the higher voltage.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I'd be more concerned with the frequency. Many electronic controls qont work over 60.5 hz.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You may find that it’s the Hz but if the Bosch appliance does not work on shore power then the power board may have been damaged by an "end" spike when the computer switched off the heating element.

Our previous boat’s new Fisher and Paykel dishwasher immediately went through three power boards using the genset before we gave up and switched to a pure sine wave inverter for the dishwasher only. If the Bosch washer/dryer is similar in electrical design, then the power board takes the AC and converts it to DC for the appliance's computer board, which in turn controls the AC element.

It was explained to me by F&P techs that the power board will generally die after several uses on a genset with a less than perfect voltage regulator. Ours kept going bang with a puff of smoke at exactly the same point in the washing cycle and when the element cycled off. Everything else worked fine with the genset.

In my opinion, most of the computer based appliances are not robustly designed for RV or off-grid applications unless there is pure AC power such as a pure sine wave inverter or a really good voltage regulator on the genset.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 10-29-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.