Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Radar Arch Hinge/Removal

We plan to bring a 60MY with a radar arch/radar mast extension from Ft. Lauderdale to Lake Michigan in the spring/summer. What makes more sense, set the arch up with a hinge or just remove the whole thing to clear the bridge on the Erie Canal or Chicago river? Haven't made a decision on which route we will take yet.
    What have others done?

Re: Radar Arch Hinge/Removal

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    We plan to bring a 60MY with a radar arch/radar mast extension from Ft. Lauderdale to Lake Michigan in the spring/summer. What makes more sense, set the arch up with a hinge or just remove the whole thing to clear the bridge on the Erie Canal or Chicago river? Haven't made a decision on which route we will take yet.
    What have others done?
    I’m investigating the same thing for Erie Canal cruising. Got a quote to hinge the arch for $7500 (simple manual hinge). That seemed insane, and just barely gave me the clearance I wanted. Currently investigating replacing the arch with an additional bimini hoop - only real complication is radar/lights/antennas management. It would likely end up being more than just a bimini hoop, kind of a narrow tube arch with a heavy clevis hinge at the bottom. If I spent enough time looking, I could probably find something close to what I’m looking for at one of the boneyards.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

If you remove it, you will have no radar until you get it put back on. A hinge is the way to go. I hinged mine a few years ago. It cost me the price of one metal skillsaw blade. Had my wife's cousin weld the hinge in so that cost me a six pack and dinner. $7500 is insane. You can do it for much less.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I saw a great motorized mount at the ibex show. I dont know how much but it was quite an elegant solution.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Mine was hinged when I brought my 56 through the Erie and also up the Champlain Canal. Just remember, if you go the hinged route, it will take at least two if not three guys to raise/lower it. The arch is very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Mine was hinged when I brought my 56 through the Erie and also up the Champlain Canal. Just remember, if you go the hinged route, it will take at least two if not three guys to raise/lower it. The arch is very heavy.
    I was able to raise and lower my 53MY original hinged arch by myself. One strong person could lift or lower it. I had a pulley from the front of the flybridge surround so I could run the dinghy lift cable through the pulley and up to the arch, but it was only used to hold it in place when it was up so I could take out or replace the arch base bolts. The lift cable was not used to raise or lower the arch. My arch had a sat dish and radar on it (see big pic in member avatar). Maybe every arch and hinge are different.
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 10-06-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you remove it, you will have no radar until you get it put back on. A hinge is the way to go. I hinged mine a few years ago. It cost me the price of one metal skillsaw blade. Had my wife's cousin weld the hinge in so that cost me a six pack and dinner. $7500 is insane. You can do it for much less.
    Just read your 2015 post re hinging your arch. Nicely done.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

8. Cool Re: Radar Arch Hinge/Removal

There are very few days that radar is needed on the Erie Canal!

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    There are very few days that radar is needed on the Erie Canal!
    But then when you decide to go down the Illinois/Mississippi/Tennessee, you might wish you had it, especially if you have to run after dark. It just makes sense to hinge it. Then you don't have to rely on some yard with a crane to pull it and reset it. You're all set for any future voyages.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I like the arch for too many reasons to remove it for more than just the one or two bridges. I understand there is a guy who will remove it just before the bridge, truck it to the other side then reinstall it but Id rather hinge it and be self sufficient. I'm going search for your conversion Sky as I would much prefer a hinge. I also like the pulley idea using the davit!