Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

here's one for the electronics guru's

Garmin GMR x04 open array radar just quit, no warnings, error codes, it just quit. This unit is accompanied by a voltage convertor (10-32v to 36v)from Garmin with the GMR60x pedestal being a 36v unit. My GPSMAP 5212 MFD doesn't recognize the radar as it did prior. I have replaced the network cable, plugging it into three different ports without change. I would check voltage but it's not relevant because output readings won't reflect true output until the unit powers up(brilliant). Install manual shows a 15amp slow blow fuse between the power source and the convertor but I'm not seeing anything that looks like a fuse along that pathway. I have inspected power and ground connections and they look clean and secure. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ageless; 09-28-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: here's one for the electronics guru's

You cant get a proper measurement of voltage T the converter without a load. If the radar is not running you need a 36 volt load within its amperage range to check.

If it's not powered it wont recognize.

Keep in mind your 3 or 4 generations discontinued and it may be time to upgrade the system.

It's not like electronics were made by hatteras. They need replacing much more often.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I would check for good voltage at the unit, that's just basic trbl shooting and always the first thing to check. if you have the volts at the unit then the unit might be bad.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I would check for good voltage at the unit, that's just basic trbl shooting and always the first thing to check. if you have the volts at the unit then the unit might be bad.
    Garmin says the power cable itself won't read the necessary 36v until the unit powers up, not really sure how that works. I get 27v at the pedestal end

I had the same symptoms on Garmin radar a few years back. It was the 36v voltage converter. Of course, Garmin no longer sold them. I was lucky enough to pick one up on ebay for under $200. It has worked for 6 years now.

John McCarley
    Water Colors
    Wrightsville Beach NC

John, how were you able to come to the conclusion it was the converter? It seems this would be a start at the cheapest part and hope