Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Batteries

Re: Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Madhatter I am assuming the 8D's are 12 volt. Is that correct? Do you know if Electro carries any 8volt besides golf cart batteries? That is the only 8 volt they had on their website. I plan to call them but am in Orlando all week so won't be able to get there until next week.Those of you using golf cart 8 volt batteries. Any of you using them for a house bank as well as starting? If so how do they perform. I have though about moving the newer lead acid I purchased for the starboard engine to my house bank then putting cart batteries on the starboard bank. it is only used to crank that one engine. All this talk about different lead thicknesses messing things up has me concerned about not going back with identical batteries on all banks. I am going to pull manual on my charger next week and look
    I put a set of golf cart batteries in about 8 months ago. They are used for both starting and house batteries. So far they have performed great. I did two sets of 8 so 16 batteries total. It cost me $1,500 for the batteries and cables to hook the extra 8 batteries into the system. I actually preferred letting the 16 lighter batteries in and out of the hole over the 8 old heavy batteries. Time will tell how they hold up, the battery shop I got them from said they have been using them on 32 volt boats for a long time and usually see 7-10 years out of them. I have 1292’s and have no problem cranking them.

Mike did you use 4 volt golf cart batteries? Or did you put two somehow parallel two banks of 4@8 volts to make one bank. I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Mike did you use 4 volt golf cart batteries? Or did you put two somehow parallel two banks of 4@8 volts to make one bank. I am confused.
    I connected 8 batteries per side in parallel to essential make 4 larger batteries. Then connected the 4 sets in series to make the 32 volts. That was my main concern, all the connections. So far I’ve had no problems. I do check the connections every couple weeks to make sure they are staying tight, and I make sure I keep some of the battery spray on them to try and prevent the corrosion. I talked to one of the technical people at Trojan and he said while they don’t advertise CCA for testing purposes they say the batteries are 550 CCA. So paralleling them should double that. When I bought the boat one side had 4 golf cart batteries that were 5 or 6 years old and I never had a problem starting that side with the 4.one of my Big Deka batteries on the other side failed which is why I decided it was time for new batteries, and I like to do them all at the same time. I figured if 4 worked 8 would be even better. Especially for the price compared to getting starting batteries, it was worth seeing what happens.