Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Raycor 1000, one works, one doesn’t

Gents, I’ll figure this one out, but one if you have seen this before. I’ve got a Raycor 1000 fuel filter set for each engine. As you know each set contains 2 filters. I changed all fuel filters today but when zipping it all back up I was testing the filters individually instead of “all on” using both filters (as we normally run) but On My port side Raycor set, the left one works as per spec, but when isolating the right one, the Raycor pressure increases and the engine is starved out and stalls...fuel doesn’t fill up the filter housing...something is impeding the right of the two raycors. Have you ever seen a situation where one of the two (clean) filters doesn’t flow but one does? Whatever it is it’s affecting just the right of the two filters in the 1000 set. Clearly my option would be to break down and rebuild the entire 1000 set but wondering what you would do..
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Re: Raycor 1000, one works, one doesn’t

Air in the line between fuel tank/engine and filter. I cracked open the secondary fuel filter housing, had a friend press the fuel prime on the helm until fuel came out of the secondary filter, closed it back and turned on the engine as normal.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Hi JR,

I'm assuming you filled both canisters with fuel before cranking. Ron may be right about helping it along, but it sounds more like a blockage at the one of the ball valves. No offense, you are aware that there are four valves on your set-up, right?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert...yes sir, as per proper procedure I filled both canisters after new filter installation. And I’m aware of four positions on the valve that chooses left/right/both/off if that’s what you’re referring to...I’m simply experiencing normal engine operation at “left” position, engine stalling at “right” position. Also, I don’t have a prime switch, so not sure I could execute Ron’s process.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Start with the simple stuff. Are you sure the lid seal and o-ring on the T-handle are sealing properly?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Start with the simple stuff. Are you sure the lid seal and o-ring on the T-handle are sealing properly?
    I agree with Sky. Sounds like an air leak.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by jrmccoy View Post
    Robert...yes sir, as per proper procedure I filled both canisters after new filter installation. And I’m aware of four positions on the valve that chooses left/right/both/off if that’s what you’re referring to...I’m simply experiencing normal engine operation at “left” position, engine stalling at “right” position. Also, I don’t have a prime switch, so not sure I could execute Ron’s process.
    Not four positions on “the valve”, four valves—two on each raycor canister.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If the vacuum is increasing it’s not an air leak.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Might want to try swapping the filters themselves and see if problem follows the "filter" itself and not the Racor Tower....

Make sure that the filter installed with high vacuum is 30 micron and not somehting crazy like a 5 micron.... don't ask me how I know about that ....

I also agree with Robert.... make sure the inlet and outlet isolation valves are fully open on tower with high vacuum ... I would cycle them open and closed and open a few times …. mine are tucked away below the tower and behind some of the piping and easy to misposition...
    Last edited by JD5652; 09-26-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL