Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water tank out

Water tank out

Removed the aft water tank on our 53MY and moved the berth aft. Gained about 14 inches. Our mattress is a Calif. King which is 84 inches long and 72 inches wide. We have 33 inches between the foot of the bed and the closet and 19 inches between the foot of the bed and the corner of the head. It is a huge improvement in the space at the foot of the bed. The old tank was about 150 lbs of solid fiberglass and was tabbed very securely to the stern. Had to cut it in half to get it out. It was very well baffled inside. Our guess was it was 90 gallons. We are replacing it with a 70 gallon plastic tank mounted under the bed. Lost 2 drawers below the bed, but well worth it.
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Re: Water tank out

Beautiful work John. Looks fantastic.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks good, enjoy it.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I did that also with my 53. High improvement
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Does look very nice!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I think I see a trend on the HOF. As these boats get older and in need of upgrading and restoration,
    the present crop of owners seem to be getting very creative. Many of the changes such as the one on
    this thread are IMO a vast improvement to the original layout. One of the main reasons that most of
    these upgrades work so well is that they are all being done on a solid platform of known strength and
    durability. It's interesting to note that there are very few other brands of boats that are being done. I
    have always been a big fan of Hatteras yachts. They have a very distinct appearance (Thanks Jack
    Hargrave) and have withstood the test of time. I believe they have a lot of years of giving pleasure to
    future generations of boaters. Of course there are other classic restorations that are very noteworthy
    such as Quentin's complete restoration of his Roamer.

Walt

That is very well said Walt, even if these changes and upgrades don’t make sense financially, they do make sense in improving the live ability of these old boats we all love. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

This mod is exactly what Hatteras did on the later model 53's. My tank is under the bed.

Nice work. Looks great.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Totally agree. The changes made by owners here are not only valuable criticisms of the original designs, but testimony to the integrity and strength of these boats as they were built from the factory. Probablky no one expected them to be around for so long. Most of the Hatteras Yachts hulls ever built are still on the water.