Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cutless bearing at shaft log???

While, I'm STILL at the boat yard, they have determined that I have 2 bent struts. Keep in mind, that they tried to heat and straighten them, first. Now, they are saying that they either need to re-bed the struts, or possibly, remove the cutless bearings at the shaft log. They siad that they have repowered several other 36c's and have only had the cutless bearings in the struts. When I surveyed the boat, several years ago, there was not a bearing in the shaft log, on the port side, but there was one in the starboard side. The surveyor, suggested to add one to the port.

My question is, does it sound reasonable to allow them to remove the cutless bearings at the shaft log, to allow for an easier/more accurate alignment, so that they will not have to remove/rebed the struts? Will this be an issue for my dripless shafts?

Thanks,

Allen

Re: Cutless bearing at shaft log???

You MIGHT be OK but don't count on it. Many boats in your size range had cutlass bearings in the strut only.

I'm thinking this might be a good question for Hatteras. Give them a call (with your hull number in hand) and they'll do their best to work with you.

That is my question, should I go back to only having 1 cutless bearing in the struts only and eliminate the ones at the shaft log?

I don't know. But Hatteras will.

I have the cutless bearing in the shaftlog as well as the dripless bearings. I beleive they were there for a reason. I had mine replaced when I repowered, I do not think they get the same amount of abuse as the ones in the strut.
    They are however a PITA to get out, much easier with no motors.
    I would replace them both and get a competent guy to align the motors.
    JW

6. Re: Cutless bearing at shaft log???

Bent struts suggest an alignment problem mostly to either port or starboard unless severely misaligned or loose. Rebedding them, presumably with shims, sounds more like vertical misalignment unless they could not bend them. How did they get these two mixed up? Why does the yard think the current shaft log strut should be removed...because it's out of alignment? How are they trying to determine alignment?

If one engine has a cutlass bearing in the shaft logs, I'd opt for that on both sides. As noted, Hatteras should be of guidance here. I'd personally want them to reinstall the shaft log strut after they get their alignment of the struts complete if thats what they think is needed and can explain it to you.

I'm certainy not comfortable with the completeness of the yard analysis you have posted. I'd be posting here as well. I'd certainy ask for a more complete description of what they think is wrong, why they think so (evidence), and what they propose as the cure.

Dripless shafts seals are a separate, subsequent, issue. You either need shaft log cutlass bearings for support or not. A dripless shaft seal will of course wear if the shaft is wobbly but that's not the primary issue...alignment and support of the shaft is the primary issue. A wobbly shaft will cause vibration and metal fatigue is a cartainty. Get the alignment and support right and your shaft seal will be just fine.

Good luck....

Allen,

Any updates regarding the need for the cuttless bearing at the shaft log?

Yes, as far as updates go, I spoke with Tom Slane, and he said that his recommendation is to replace the bearings. He says that without the bearings, he feels that there would be too much shaft, without the proper support. I have taken his advice and had them replaced, which I think is a good move. Also, I have had both struts removed, straingtened and are in the process of being rebedded. I'm hoping to be back together and floating by Thursday.

After all of this work, I better not even have a ripple in my coffee, when going out in the mornings.
    Last edited by Fat Boy; 05-16-2006 at 06:56 AM.

Allen, thanks for the update.

Talking Re: Cutless bearing at shaft log???

I finally got the boat back. With straight and rebedded struts and all new cutless bearings, the boat is finally smooth.