Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Now Hurricane Dorian

Boarding up tying off. And my neighbors thought I was crazy for putting 6 piling clusters in
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

After things calm down, I’d be interested to know why you don’t use chain and shackles around the pilling clusters.

Spider web mindset.

9 anchors on the other side. Multiple lines to each one and multiple lines on each cleat.

40 lines total. I'm hopeful.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    After things calm down, I’d be interested to know why you don’t use chain and shackles around the pilling clusters.
    When the lines go around the sister poles they in effect also tie them together and pull on all.

Good luck Mr Smith. I have seen you before and after pix before and know yours will be the most prepared anywhere. You have a beautiful boat and I hope the best for you and everyone on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Weakest link senerio.you need to somehow secure the chain from dropping down the pole if it does it takes all your lines with it. Surge comes up and sure as heck that chain is going to choke up on the pole and either pull the pole out of the hard pan or pull the boat down. For my typical working lines I have 1/2” SS cable wrapped multiple times around the poles and secure a shackle and thimble to it. Each wrap of the SS cable I have secured with multiple bent over heavy nails.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Some tower pre storm pics

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

One thing to remember is you can have all the lines in the world but they’re only as good as what they’re secured too on both ends. In Frances my tie out poles were triples I put in when I built the dock. The poles will bend and even the trips wouldn’t hold the boat off the dock when the winds were broadside on the beam. I had 12” fenders and 2x12 fender boards spanning the dock pilings. This was a total waste of time. The 2x12’s chewed through in no time and the tremendous pressure on the fender lines of the boat listing with the gusts broke them in no time. I finally took a hand axe and cut the whole mess loose.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Here’s the video I took in 2004. My house was destroyed which is at the end. Jeene came through 3 weeks after Frances to the day and hour. Somehow I recorded over the beginning of Frances with Jeene then back to Frances.

https://youtu.be/-9RswfGVhwI

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976