Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Now Hurricane Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    I'm on the ICW in FLL. Many a mega yacht have been parading south. They can't all fit in Key West.

I'm trying something I've not done before - use my anchor chain as a storm line. Thinking of pushing the boat back in the slip about 10', running the chain through the pulpit and wrapping the chain around the concrete piling off the bow. Put a little slack in it and use my anchor bridal to soften the load. Any reason this a bad idea?
    Depends on the dock set up and where you are. A bridle will not have a shock absorbing capacity has lines and you could damage the cleats. The chain is also going to damage the piling. Remember that lines usually fail because of chaffing.

For Irma I used mega braid lines, none failed. They stretched and got so tight on some of the pilings that I had to cut them afterward.

Assuming the storm passes north as it seems, you need to rig for W to S winds. Closer to pilings or dock on the opposite side to get more clearance and give room for lines to stretch. If possible make sure the boat is facing the SW Here both my boat and the 84 Lazzara are normally docked facing NE, I will swing them around on Saturday. For Katrina I kept my boat facing the wrong way and has a lot of presaure on the stern. Rain water was actually sleeping thru the aft deck teak door
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The EOC was activated today in Brooksville. I was advised to be prepared to work 12 hour shifts up there starting this weekend but they will make final determination tomorrow. EOC advised to expect storm surge from 3' to 6' on the Gulf side. I took my eisenglass off today as forecast is calling for 55 knot winds Monday night. Will try to tie everything up good tomorrow and hope for the best. I had planned on riding it out on the boat but being called to duty is going to stop those plans.

Possible track is now off the coast of Florida. Hope it goes further out and ends up not making landfall. Even then I needs to be far enough from shore to reduce impact.

We ll see what happens at 11am but it looks like Florida is pretty much in the clear. Remember hurricane force winds only extend around 50nm on the left side with the core of heavy damage even less. Yes a jog to the west is possible but no reason for hysteria.

This is from the 5Am discussion: “The new track forecast for 72-120 h will be moved eastward to stay east of the coast of Florida, and it lies between the old forecast and the various consensus models. Additional adjustments to the forecast track may be necessary later today if current model trends continue.”
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

They postponed activation of our posts at EOC until Sunday, if at all. Looks like Tarpon Springs is on the edge of the cone so we should be ok if this model holds.

New info from the hurricane hunters shows more western tract again. Data was imputed to the GFS models but NHS tract won’t update until 11pm. Ain’t over till it’s over.
    Marsh Harbor 150 185 gusts? Will be leveled
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Is anyone familiar with the Chesapeake Bay? We are currently up in Baltimore and need a good protected marina to ride out the storm when it gets up here? Even if it declines to a Cat 1 level, I don’t want to be stuck on some face dock in an exposed area when it does. Any local knowledge will be helpful.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the Chesapeake Bay? We are currently up in Baltimore and need a good protected marina to ride out the storm when it gets up here? Even if it declines to a Cat 1 level, I don’t want to be stuck on some face dock in an exposed area when it does. Any local knowledge will be helpful.
    because I have no personal knowledge, I would recommend looking on active captan app. There will be a good amount of info there

Thanks, I found a spot at Chesapeake Harbour in Annapolis starting Thursday that looks like it may work for us. But any other suggestions are much appreciated. We are also on a list for hauling in Deale Md if things get very serious, but that’s only if Dorian keeps its power as it comes north. I may be jumping the gun, but I feel it is better to be prepared then to scramble around at the last minute.

If you look on Google Earth Chesapeake Harbour is well protected with three story condos surrounding the small basin with one narrow entrance and fixed docks. Now I need to inventory my anti-chafe gear and lines. Hopefully this will all be unnecessary and the storm will turn out to sea or weaken on its own making this just good practice for next time.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    because I have no personal knowledge, I would recommend looking on active captan app. There will be a good amount of info there
    My dad use to keep his Carver at McDaniel Yacht Basin, top of the Sassafras River. It’s a couple hrs from Annapolis but from what I understand, they have a bunch of slips open, covered even.Good luck.
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363