Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

It's all Fried!! Lightning Strike at house.

The wife and I were relaxing on the boat Sat night when we got a call from the dog sitter that her car wouldn't start, thought it was hit by lightning. Not gonna say I didn't believe her, but there are literally a thousand electronic things on a 2017 car that could keep it from starting.

Well, we get back home yesterday, and indeed the tree next to her car has a big hole in the ground at the base of it, literally blew dirt and pine straw all over her car. Guessing lightning hit the tree, her car, my sons 2006 Ford F250 and our house.

So, her car is dead in my driveway.... Probably going to lose the beautiful live oak in my driveway circle.... and here is the so-far list we have found inside the house inoperable....

*all appliances are 3yrs old, basically brand new.

LG SS Fridge
    LG SS gas stove/oven.
    Apple 27" monitor
    65" tv
    32" tv
    Router
    2017 Chevy car

The 2006 F250 had a pile of error codes but cranked up. I cleared the codes and everything 'appears' to be functioning properly, just took it for a drive.

Not exactly how I wanted to start my Monday, but the wife assures me we should be thankful and it could have been worse... You know what, she's right. The only thing I'm kinda upset about is the tree. Sounds like there is a slight chance it might pull through, but more than likely it's dead. We literally designed/built our driveway and house around the location of this tree and a couple other live oaks.

Not sure if we will file a claim on insurance or not at this point. I've ordered new ECM board for the fridge and will be trouble shooting the oven tonight. If the fridge and stove just need ecm's we can replace the tv's, monitors and routers (with bigger tv's) for about the same as our deductible.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 08-26-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Re: It's all Fried!! Lightning Strike at house.

And insult to injury is headed our way in the form of Dorian.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    And insult to injury is headed our way in the form of Dorian.
    Had multiple automatic gate failures from lighting at the farm. Has the co-op install a lightening arrester at the gate's breaker panel three years ago. No problems since. Maybe this could help you going forward.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Had multiple automatic gate failures from lighting at the farm. Has the co-op install a lightening arrester at the gate's breaker panel three years ago. No problems since. Maybe this could help you going forward.
    I def need to look into that. Since we have lived here 3yrs, 4 different trees have been struck on our property.

Update on all the damaged stuff.

The refrigerator control board came in today, 5 min install and the fridge seems to be working properly!! woot woot!! Fixing the fridge alone will save approx $2k over buying new (the board was $200 overnighted)

Had my 15yr old son pull the 60" tv apart last night and we ordered a new power supply board for it. The power supply board was $130 for the tv.

Got a new control board on order for the stove, hopefully will have the same success with it, fingers crossed.

We already bought a new tv for the living room so if the power board fixes the 60" we will need to find a new place to put it.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 08-29-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Look for other electronic things to go out over the next few months. I had this happen and insurance company actually told me to expect this. Sure enough computer boards in the furnace went out along with wall oven and ice maker a few weeks later. They had no issue paying it. They told me the solder heats up with the surge and sets back up quickly but the connection is destroyed. Said it takes time to show up and they were correct

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Look for other electronic things to go out over the next few months. I had this happen and insurance company actually told me to expect this. Sure enough computer boards in the furnace went out along with wall oven and ice maker a few weeks later. They had no issue paying it. They told me the solder heats up with the surge and sets back up quickly but the connection is destroyed. Said it takes time to show up and they were correct
    Yeah, others have told us the same thing. Sure hope the AC unit doesn't bite the dust....
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL