Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Illegal charters

The Coast Guard has been sending out notices of terminating the operation of illegal charters particularly in the southeast Florida area, mainly Ft. Lauderdale and Miami areas. Some under 30 ft pleasurecraft, several poontoons, a 33 footer. All were terminated and cited, all for no COI, stability letter, no drug & alcohol program, & not having a properly credentialed captain. Number of passengers running from 7 to 14 on board. It appears charter operators are trying to "fudge" the OUPV under 6 passenger limit. Is this a new thing where everybody and their brother are wanting to be a charter boat operator or just the Coast Guard deciding to crack down on them?

They're not showing pictures, so I can't tell if they have a big "For Charter" sign on their boat, or if the coasties just know who to check

Re: Illegal charters

I have been doing sightseeing day charters for the past 10 yrs. out of Clearwater Fl.
    Every year more guys are doing these type of trips with everything from CC boats to pontoons. Many will take over 6 passengers. Mostly they operate off internet without signs on their boats. One guy in my Marina with an old Ocean Alexander takes large groups and claims bareboat status because the boat is in his girlfriends name.
    Makes it hard for legit licensed and insured CAPTIANS like myself. The single coast guard boat here can not check but a fraction of the local traffic.

There are definitely ways to circumvent the six pack rules with a bareboat charter, but it seems to me the only way the coasties could catch someone would be if they did in fact advertise. They most definitely aren't going to be randomly stopping vessels with more than six people onboard, just to see if they paid to be there and/or if the boat is being operated by a licensed captain. That is as long as there is no signage on the boat to the effect it's a pay per ride deal.

A sign on a boat in a marina would be a sure way to be found out, but I'm guessing they don't have the resources to stay on top of such things. I've read recent articles on this subject, and it would appear the penalties are high. Then again, I guess that comes down to how a particular judge will be feeling on a particular day. Sort of like dropping a teaspoon full of diesel which could carry a $10,000 (or whatever amount) penalty.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Same problems here in San Diego, we also are dealing with boat B & B situations that are illegal, bet you guys have those also. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

It s about time they start cracking down. They caught some big fishes a few months ago including a 147 footer against whom a captain of the port order had been issued. They had to finally do something after a highly publicized death on a 90 footer with an unlicensed captain on video doing cocaine.

https://www.workboat.com/news/passen...egal-charters/

Bareboat charters up to 12 (plus charterer) are legal but you have to follow the rules incl charterer supplies food fuel and drink, owner can not be on board, charterer can pick his crew etc. and most critically you need to have two contracts, one for the boat and one for the crew,paid separately This is the first thing the USCG asks for when boarding. I forgot you don’t have the contracts, you are automatically a standard charter and if you have more than 6 pax on an unisnpected vessels the fines kick in

I used to run bareboat charters before on a 70 footer and NEVER left the dock without the signed contacts. Now I run an 84 which is over 100GT so we can do do 12 pax charters without having to do bareboat
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    There are definitely ways to circumvent the six pack rules with a bareboat charter, but it seems to me the only way the coasties could catch someone would be if they did in fact advertise. They most definitely aren't going to be randomly stopping vessels with more than six people onboard, just to see if they paid to be there and/or if the boat is being operated by a licensed captain. That is as long as there is no signage on the boat to the effect it's a pay per ride deal.A sign on a boat in a marina would be a sure way to be found out, but I'm guessing they don't have the resources to stay on top of such things. I've read recent articles on this subject, and it would appear the penalties are high. Then again, I guess that comes down to how a particular judge will be feeling on a particular day. Sort of like dropping a teaspoon full of diesel which could carry a $10,000 (or whatever amount) penalty.
    Most are caught around here by real captains turning them in.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Part of the problem are the new apps like BoatSetters that have brought ride sharing tech to the boating world with very little regard to USCG regulations...

Another issue is that the Captain classes and USCG exams do not address baereboat charters even thought it is widely use. So when freshly licensed captains get out in the real world they are told by brokers that it s ok to run a bareboat with 12 but these guys don’t know the rules. Many times brokers would send guests to the boat without sending me valid contracts. Eventually I would have contracts ready for them to sign before we left the docks...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It s about time they start cracking down. They caught some big fishes a few months ago including a 147 footer against whom a captain of the port order had been issued. They had to finally do something after a highly publicized death on a 90 footer with an unlicensed captain on video doing cocaine.

https://www.workboat.com/news/passen...egal-charters/

Bareboat charters up to 12 (plus charterer) are legal but you have to follow the rules incl charterer supplies food fuel and drink, owner can not be on board, charterer can pick his crew etc. and most critically you need to have two contracts, one for the boat and one for the crew,paid separately This is the first thing the USCG asks for when boarding. I forgot you don’t have the contracts, you are automatically a standard charter and if you have more than 6 pax on an unisnpected vessels the fines kick in

I used to run bareboat charters before on a 70 footer and NEVER left the dock without the signed contacts. Now I run an 84 which is over 100GT so we can do do 12 pax charters without having to do bareboat

So with the over 100 GRT you can charter 12 passengers without being an inspected vessel?

I just completed a captains class a couple months ago & the instructor was very explicit on what was allowed & disallowed with a bareboat charter From all the information I gathered it didn't seem like the thing to do. To be legal you basically are handing over all control of the vessel to the charterer who then provides the captain and crew. Seems like just a way to get around the Inspected Vessel requirement. Then there's the whole insurance thing......

I don't see how the bare boat thing for over 6 is able to hold water if the captain is getting paid, even if he doesn't own the boat. I'm pretty sure, when I got my license, the study material (based on USCG regs) said if you are getting paid you must have the appropriate license for the charter you are taking out. So if you have an OUPV you can only take 6 passengers plus 2 crew max. No matter whose boat you are on. And even if you have a 200 ton license you can't take 7 passengers out on any boat for hire without the boat being inspected. I have a 100 ton license but can't take but 6 on my Hatteras because it is not inspected. Can't take but 6 on my buddies Hatteras that used to be a charter boat because its not inspected. Now if the captain and crew are not getting paid then it should be fine.

Also if you have an OUPV (6 PAX) you can't operate an inspected vessel even if it has just 6 people on board. Or at least that is my understanding.

Red face Re: Illegal charters

That s what I mean... lots of inaccurate information In well over 10 years of doing charters I have done a lot of research, confirmed it with maritime attorneys and been boarded by USCG charter enforcement while on a bareboat charter with 12pax on a foreign built 70 footer (under 100GT)

With only a OUPV, you can not carry more than 6 pax regardless of charter type

With a master, even just 50 GT, you can carry up to 12 plus the charterer on an UNINSPECTED vessel under bare boat charter as long as you are hired separately from the vessel and as long as you are not the owner. Plus a few other conditions including the charterer supplying food and fuel

If the uninspected vessel is over 100GT with a 200 Master you can carry up to 12 including the charterer on a standard crew included and provided charter contract

Here is a 38 page USCG document which details everything

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...%20Version.pdf
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat