Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Propane conversion?

Has anyone converted their galley to propane? My previous boat (Grandbanks) had been all electric from the factory with a 7.5KW and a 12KW genset. A PO converted the galley to propane and removed a genset as well as increased the house battery bank capacity. We liked the propane galley for the obvious reason: no genset noise at anchor. So the genset was essentially an occasional battery charger. What do you think?

bob

Re: Propane conversion?

Sounds good for the reasons you stated but I think Propane gas is heavier then air and on a boat that
    could mean that any leaks could find the gas settling down in the hull thereby creating a potential serious
    hazard. I know that many boats use propane, especially sail boats.. Any comments regarding safety
    records ?.

Walt

Don't know statistics but I have seen the results when it goes bad. The only large piece was the engine block.... As Walter said, it's got nowhere to go but into the bilge.

So, IF you do this make sure you either do your homework or hire someone who knows what they are doing. You want a sealed but overboard vented locker, a sniffer which controls a shutoff solenoid at the bottle.

They sell fiberglass propane bottles with don't rust... a plus in the marine environment.

I've had boats with propane on them.... I closed the valve on the bottle when not in use. Always.

Over time sniffers go bad, give nuisance alarms and then shut off your gas supply.

No propane on a boat for me.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

There are rules governing the piping used and installation of gas systems on boats in Australia. The gas bottle can not be painted, locker must drain overboard, locker labelled. A major failure point is where the gas pipe connects to the stove. If possible place stove with a tray arrangement underneath venting downwards and overboard. Our propane smells, presume this is the same in USA.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Our propane smells, presume this is the same in USA.
    Yes. I have been known to arrive at the boat, let NO ONE on it, proceed on alone and get my nose all the way down in the bilge for a sniff test before ANYTHING else happened.

Like I said, I've seen the aftermath of a "boom".... it's NOT pretty.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Have had lots of boats with propane cooking, as said if installed properly with a solenoid galley tank shut off, proper locker stove with thermocouple burners that shut off gas if the flame goes out, it can be safe. Incidents of explosions are very few and usually caused by major system deterioration. If hoses and other components are inspected regularly and replaced as needed it should be no problem. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Your other option for gas cooking on boats is CNG, which is lighter than air and won't collect in the bilge. It is harder to find refills for than propane is, though. It is arguably safer, I think.

You might reach out to folks who have LRCs. I think some of them have propane ranges, or gas ranges at any rate.

Have you ever seen the afternoath of a propane explosion on a boat? Not pretty.

Since you have to run the genny to charge, you may as well do it while cooking....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've changed the electric range to propane on my boat, 42C. Gas locker is on bridge vented overboard then continuous run of hose to appliance and sniffer alarm installed at galley floor.
    I like the arrangement.

Thanks for the input. I knew I would get some valuable info. Obviously, this is not an urgent consideration - more of something for the future. I have a lot more important items on my 'to do' list but we liked the propane galley and think we may still want to do it - of course considering all of the pros and cons. Regards,

bob