Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine mounts

Engine mounts

The engine mounts on my 36c w/ 4-53t need replaced. The original mounts are the ones that are vertically aligned - the surveyor said that they sag over the years. The last owner had them welded solid, thus no vibration absorbtion. Is it possible to remove only one mount and have the other 3 support the engine and if not what's the best way to change out the mounts? I think I will have to fabricate new support arms to accomodate new mounts. Any suggestions or links for new engine mounts would be great.

-Chad

Re: Engine mounts

I had a broken engine mount on my old boat. I built a platform in the bilge out of 3/4 inch plywood that acted as a level dais for a car jack. I used the car jack to take the pressure off the mount and replace it was really pretty easy.

Mind you, my old engines were 275BHP Turbo Lehmans, quite a bit smaller than my 8V92TI's. I suppose the principal is the same, though I think the trick is in building the platform that will hold the car jack and spread the load across a sufficiently large area so as to not stress/flex the glass underneath it. I did find that the other three mounts held the engine in place without any issue.

I checked the shaft coupler after with a feeler guage and it hadn't moved at the end of the day.
    Last edited by trogers; 04-21-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"

Re: Engine mounts

Using a low-profile car jack works, just make certain you make a strong platform that is supported on blocks placed next to the stringers. I used a similar approach to lift an 8v71. I also made a lifting jack by using two trailer tongue jacks set on top of the stringers coupled via a 3" square tubing cross bar with drop down brackets attached to the back of the transmission. This configuration was used to raise the back of the engine about 10" allowing both mounts to be removed.