Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: U.S. Customs

U.S. Customs

We are planning a trip to the Bahamas this summer and I wondered if someone could tell me how I go about getting the Customs sticker for my boat and if there is anything else I need to do. Have not made a crossing since 1990 and assume things may have changed a bit. Thanks,
    George
    ELECTRA VI
    1966 34C #068

Re: U.S. Customs

George, go to us customs web site. think you can even get an exemption from having to report back once you return, read this last year when we wanted to do it but that will not happen for a while now.

Are you going to Westend? the new resort there looks great. Remember cant bring back any cubans ( of course if any happen to show up, would be nice for a few montecristos to show up my way)

almost forgot, you may need passport, laws are changing.

I just did this. I filled out the online form and had the sticker in a little over a week. I have never been to the bahamas by boat, so this will be a new experience. I have heard the entry back into the US is much harder than going into the bahamas.

By the way, had anyone ever been ot Ocean Reef Yacht Club in Grand bahama?
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

it's not harder... but now you must report in person at an immigration office, which can be a major PITA if your'e coming in at a marina far from them...

normally customs only requires a phone call, they will give you a clearance nr you need to give immigration.

bahamas on the other hand is a major pain.. tons of paper to fill out, including a health manifest listing the number of people who died on the voyage and cause of death. seems like they're still using XVIIIth century forms... plus a $300 fee (which allows you a second entry, free, within 90 days....)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I heard from a guy at our yacht club that they stop in at Miami Beach marina when comming back from the Bahamas. usually they catch up with the Custom Agents clearing in the mega yachts folks.