Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Boatyard Recommendations in San Diego

I am new to the San Diego area and I am looking for a reputable boatyard for bottom paint, rebedding windows, and pehaps some interior renovation. Anyone here have any recommendations? My 53C is at Harbor Island West Marina.

Re: Boatyard Recommendations in San Diego

I'd go to Shelter Island Boatyard for the bottom job. See Bill Roberts. For the rest, it depends on the extent of the work you plan on doing. For very expensive, but nice work, go to Driscoll's or Knight and Carver. For run of the mill work, Shelter Island Boatyard, South Bay Boatyard, Driscolls other yard (Kettenburg) and Kohler Kraft are fine. Kohler Kraft specializes in wooden boats. South Bay has a good reputation for LP jobs, as does Baja Naval. The thing about Baja Naval, is that they're in Ensenada, (Mexico) and you need to BE THERE THE WHOLE TIME, but the price is right. Stay away from Nielsen Beaumont, they're a ripoff.

btw I've been using Bill Roberts's yard for more years than I can remember, and I worked in the Kettenburg yard as a teenager.

50 years boating in San Diego,
    David
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I too use the Shelter Island Boatyard and I travel there from Mission Bay. Their bottom jobs are topnotch. I usually deal with Wayne, Bill Roberts is getting ornery in his old age...

Bernie

I agree on Bill being ornery, and Wayne is officially the yard manager.(Bill is the principal owner) I deal with Bill because I've known him for so many years.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I am moving from Lake Travis, Austin, Texas to San Diego, We have a slip at Chula Vista Marina. Right now we are waiting for the lake to raise to get our 53' Hatteras MY out. I have been investigating and visited all the yards in SD area, and choose Shelter Island to do the bottom job and painting and other services. They allow for you to do any work yourself, which is great. Bill is great and seems to take of you.
    Capt Ken
    512-294-4322
    53' Hatteras MY - "ANTIQUA"

I ahve worked with Wayne at SI, and found the bottom job and some fiberglass work on the helm (new elect's) was top notch. Driscoll's turned me off and didn't seem interested in "small"(not to me) jobs. If I were doing a refit, I would probably look to Driscolls or Knight and Carver.