Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8V71TI. Horsepower

Any simple , safe way to increase the HP of these engines. New injectors,air filter ? Thanks Edward

Re: 8V71TI. Horsepower

I wouldn't. Unless you don't mind paying for a rebuild a lot sooner. Make sure it's properly tuned, have a clean bottom, and clean properly sized props and that's what you get.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

OK, I always like a clean bottom!

I’ve got the same engines. The story goes that the 8V71’s were originally naturally aspirated and Detroit wanted more out of it thus the twin turbo version. Theory is that turbos put more stress on an engine as would other mods to eek out more HP. I’ve even heard of guys removing the turbos and converting to Natually aspirated to increase engine life. Anything that extracts more HP out of them than original engineering intended will create a corresponding stress, increased wear, and shorter engine life.

Quote Originally Posted by jrmccoy View Post
    I’ve got the same engines. The story goes that the 8V71’s were originally naturally aspirated and Detroit wanted more out of it thus the twin turbo version. Theory is that turbos put more stress on an engine as would other mods to eek out more HP. I’ve even heard of guys removing the turbos and converting to Natually aspirated to increase engine life. Anything that extracts more HP out of them than original engineering intended will create a corresponding stress, increased wear, and shorter engine life.
    You can't just remove the turbos to have an N/A engine. The compression ratio is different as are injectors.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky has a point. The compression is very different. The injectors push more fuel per cycle and other components may be either set up differently or need to be switched out.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Turbo’d engines always have lower compression ratios than normally aspirated. Can’t just take the turbos off and change the injectors
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Best way to get more HP? Simple...repower
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Buy a new boat. 😂
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

That said 425hp out of 558 cid leaves a lot of room for improvement. I wonder why DD never pushed them a little higher. was it because they focused on the 8V92s? What would it take... bigger injectors and turbos?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat