Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery box removal

Those who have removed boxes are they glassed down or 5200 glued down? Going to start with heat gun. Any other suggestions. Thanks

Re: Battery box removal

If you have the OEM fiberglass boxes with lids, I would be interested in them.

Going to rebuild them.

Years ago I changed my 41c from gas to diesel. I tried relocated my 8D battery boxes. When I went to pry them up they tore the beds up and starting delaminating. They were glassed in. I ended up making new boxes as they were in bad shape from using a crow bar on them.

Maybe others will chime in.

Have a good week,
    Tim

Just removed mine and replaced them with NOCO boxes back in April. Four original boxes on my boat were glassed to the plywood underneath.

I used a flat pry bar and hammer, started at the corner of each box and pried up underneath separating box from the sole. Three out of four boxes came up for the most part in one piece to the extent that I could have repaired them if necessary. Fourth box was a lost cause at it was split down the sides and came up in several pieces.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

We were fortunate in that the wood floor underneath the boxes had rotted and needed to be replaced, so they came out easily. Took a long time to clean up the bases of old wood. We then used sikaflex to glue them to the new flooring.

Maybe Fein tool is the answer for removal????
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Mine weren’t glassed in at all.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Mine were set in some resin on top of the plywood below. When I pried them up, it took some of the plywood with it. For those of us with 32v systems, its wise to rebuild them as they don't make a box the same size.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I may have a few that are being removed. Maybe I'll make a mold. They're not that heavy that you cant ship them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.