Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shotgun Fuse mystery-advice please

In 10+ years of owning our Hatt, I have burned, not blown, two (2) 240 volt 50 amp shotgun fuses at the power inlet, both in the last 6 months in the same marina.
    After the first, I had a great mechanic/electrician replace the source 2 plugs with smartplugs. New cords, and use 2 when entire family onboard.
    No breakers have blown. Also(and maybe unrelated) 6 months prior I did also have electrolysis cause 10 month failure on a raw water pump with no source identified. Assumed it was from another marina in another state. not confirmed.
    After the electrolysis incident, the water was checked by marina electrical contractor and no stray current identified.

After the first fuse burn, the pedestal was changed. SO, I got the call Friday evening that I had another smoking fuse, in the same exact location on the OTHER side of the boat(below inlet on right). No one onboard, no breakers blown, 3 of 4 ACs set to 77. Those should easily run on a 50/240 amp cord and circuit.
    Got to the boat, spun it around with gen on, pulled all 4 shotgun fuses to double check thing, checked with ohm meter, sprayed with corosion spray, installed 2 cords on 2 different pedestals. Spent the night , all seems fine.
    On the burned fuse, was able to unscrew the metal fuse holder and burned dust just poured out. Cap was melted through, no fire. The first fuse to burn was a time delay, this one was a 1 time green 50 amp.

With a marine electrician checking the pedestals 2X, a marine electrician replacing my first fuse holder, and installing smartplugs, and checking supposedly everything, I get the same burned fuse on the other side within months with a light load or less. Corosion is not the cause. No arcing on the male or female side of the smartplug cord. Intermittent low voltage from the pedestal as a cause?

I am the only one on this particular dock using 50 amp 240 volt power. others use 50 amp, but 125 volt. I have checked the power at the pedestal, and watched a marine electrician do the same, so now I'm thinking I need a way to track the power at the pedestal to prove a bad transformer or spike from the power company side. My other thought is that I have something on the boat starting to fail that is drawing too many amps, but why no breaker pop, and a fuse burn??

So, gremlin experts, please share your thoughts. I'm baffled, and no one around the docks seems to have a great suggestion, other than,"your boat is old...." I want to figure this out, and quiet those knuckleheads. Thanks in advance.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Re: Shotgun Fuse mystery-advice please

What is the power at the pedestal? What is it on board with a medium load?

Why replace the old fuses with the same when there are much better systems for circuit protection.

I'm installing 2 32 amp 230 volt (European vessel) this week.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I'm with Boatsb here..... take the pyrotechnics out and put some proper protection in there and THEN start trouble shooting if there still is a problem.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Get rid of duses and replace with breakers. Too many hatts had had damage becase of 70s technology. Often you can install the fuse inside the within a couple of feet of the power inlet. For instance on most MY you could install the breaker in the ER just under the shore power inlets and still be within a couple of feet.

Marinco makes a shore power breaker installed inside a standard waterproof cover that matches the other ones.since nowone use phones anymore, you can pull the old phone inlet and put a breaker in that hole
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Guys. Breakers in ER underneath makes a ton of sense. Will post a pic once completed.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Look at the blue seas 3120. I believe that's what I installed on another boat. There's other versions for different use. The 230 volt ones are not always in stock because they're European. You need the 240 volt ones

If you dont use a transformer and bring in 50 amp 125/250 volt then the 3119 works.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I remember an explanation that was brought forward about Hatteras using the fuses, a breaker trips when there is too much current but can do nothing when there is a bad connection that is generating heat, which is a low current situation, thus the fuses. My '81 61 CMY had them , my '99 74 SDMY doesn't .........Pat

Doesn’t a bad connection lower voltage thus increasing amp tripping the breaker?

Recently I had what can be called a bad connection on a 100amp plug which was causing the boat side breaker to trip. Replaced the plug and trimmed the end of the wires and the breaker no longer trips.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Voltage drop across a resistive connection increases current draw