Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. GalleyMaid Support/Service

My Galley Maid windlass (BBHW) started acting, sounding like it was under heavy load when retrieving the anchor when it was only pulling chain, no real load. Called GM and spoke with Ernie and he knew exactly what was wrong, that I had a gear worn out. He sent my the parts breakdowns and explained the easy way to pull the gear box and trouble shoot the problem. After finding the gear to be the problem I emailed back and ordered the gear plus all bearings and seals after hours. The next business day they fabricated the new gear and shipped all the parts out that day.
    So after calling on a Friday afternoon I had all of the parts Wednesday afternoon.
    Long winded way of saying absolute great technical support and service from the people at Galley Maid.

Re: GalleyMaid Support/Service

Great too know. Thanks for the share.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have to agree. I rebiult mine @5 years ago and had great service. What manufacturer nowadays supports 25+year old equipment with such enthusiasm! ?
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

4. Re: GalleyMaid Support/Service

Hey when you guys did the rebuild did you just take care of the rebuild locally or did you send your gearcase back to them? How much for the parts and how hard was it?

Ours I think needs seals and I want to go through it at the end of the season.

Mine was a ball of rust under the deck with chrome flaking off of the gypsy and baseplate. When it returned from Galley Maid it looked like new. I had the thrust bearing added for frequent power down operation and a complete overhaul and IIRC the rechroming was the biggest part of the cost.

6. Re: GalleyMaid Support/Service

All of my above deck hardware and gear case were in good condition. I only needed the idler gear, but figured while I had it out I would replace all of the bearings and seals (also cleaned and painted anchor locker).
    The gear cases are well engineered which made the replacement of parts pretty straight forward. I have about 10 hours time (retired and don’t get in any rush) in removal, clean up and reinstall.
    The cost of the bearings, bushings and seals for my unit was $ 566.36 including shipping.

7. Re: GalleyMaid Support/Service

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    All of my above deck hardware and gear case were in good condition. I only needed the idler gear, but figured while I had it out I would replace all of the bearings and seals (also cleaned and painted anchor locker).
    The gear cases are well engineered which made the replacement of parts pretty straight forward. I have about 10 hours time (retired and don’t get in any rush) in removal, clean up and reinstall.
    The cost of the bearings, bushings and seals for my unit was $ 566.36 including shipping.
    Thanks for the info. I likely will do the same!

Anyone interested in another GM rope only windlass? I have one in excellent condition in my storage unit that I will never use and will part with cheap. It's in NJ (close to exit 8A, NJ Turnpike) and I will not pack and ship it. Come look at it and load it in your truck/car...it's very heavy. You're welcome to try it out and check whatever you wish...I just need to get rid of all my boat stuff.

Walt