Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Racor sediment bowl drains

I just changed the fuel filters and although I could not see any water in the bottom of the bowls, I wanted for good measure drain off a little fuel and catch any sediment. I could not open the drains by hand. They are plastic with a barbed fitting to attach a drain hose. I was scared to force them and possibly break them because they were plastic. Is there a trick to get these open or should they just turn like a normal drain cock?

Thanks in advance.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Re: Racor sediment bowl drains

Normal. Lube it up and let it work. I’ve broken one already.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

We carry an extra bowl with valve already installed plus a rebuild or gasket kit, just incase.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Light pressure with a plumbers wrench works just fine. Don’t press so hard that you crack the plastic. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat View Post
    I just changed the fuel filters and although I could not see any water in the bottom of the bowls, I wanted for good measure drain off a little fuel and catch any sediment. I could not open the drains by hand. They are plastic with a barbed fitting to attach a drain hose. I was scared to force them and possibly break them because they were plastic. Is there a trick to get these open or should they just turn like a normal drain cock?

Thanks in advance.
    If memory serves me well, they need to be turned in clockwise direction in order for them to drain and anticlockwise to shut them off. By turning them clockwise you screw them in allowing for fuel to drain out and opposite, screwing them out will shut the drain.

I may be wrong.....
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by brico View Post
    If memory serves me well, they need to be turned in clockwise direction in order for them to drain and anticlockwise to shut them off. By turning them clockwise you screw them in allowing for fuel to drain out and opposite, screwing them out will shut the drain. I may be wrong.....
    +1. I remember they are threaded such that screwing them out closes them.

Just did mine, you are both correct on turning direction. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

8. Re: Racor sediment bowl drains

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Normal. Lube it up and let it work. I’ve broken one already.
    Cheap to replace. I keep spares. Not high end!

9. Re: Racor sediment bowl drains

On the topic of Racors, One bowl cleaning truck that I have found works very well is to drain the bowl completely then pull the center drain and THEN pull the filter out. The filter chamber holds a lot of fuel and this is usually enough to flush almost all the sediment down without having to remove the bowl.