Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wards boost transformer

I was poking through a deck box in my cockpit and discovered that I own a 120/240v boost transformer that looks to be in near new condition. There is no switch to set various levels of boost so I assume it is designed to bring low voltage up to 240v and no more? It is labeled in the original name of the boat so I’m guessing that it is circa 1987. FWIW, the maker is still on business, but are not selling anything like what I have anymore. I will call them on Monday, but wondered if anyone knew another these units.

It is a portable unit that has cords to connect on the dock between the pedestal and my shore cord. It is labeled 120/240 VAC 50 AMP Boost Transformer Wards Marine Electric, Ft Lauderdale

Re: Wards boost transformer

I bought that same Wards boost transformer for my 1982 48' Series 1 MY. Our marina provides us with 208 volts and it's a little less on busy weekends when everyone is there running their AC etc. It works very well and in my case it was money well spent. I don't recall the price except that it was a fairly expensive piece of equipment. I since found out through this forum that the isolation transformers on most of our boats can be wired to accomplish the same thing.

Walt

Thanks, we have good power in our current marina, so I’ll put it away until needed.

It boosts whatever voltage available by 10%

Thanks, that’s what I was looking for.

I wanted to add that when I plugged in today at the end of a long finger dock, I immediately
    began to get “low a/c” messages on the air con control pad. That prompted me to check the incoming volts: 199! After digging out the booster and putting it inline I had 220-ish volts. We’ll be here for another day or so and it’s nice not to worry about equipment damage.