Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Icemaker problem

I tried the Scotsman ice maker last night for the first time and after making one batch of cubes it just ran water behind the clear plastic flap. Is this part of the cycle, I turned it off to avoid wasting water?

Re: Icemaker problem

Is it a clear ice machine
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think so, it’s a model dce33a. The manual doesn’t say anything about spraying water and it not freezing.

Clear ice machines spray water into the molds and them release the ice into a storage bin. It does not have a fill cycle for trays like the others. It fills a resovior and sprays water during the freeze cycle.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

DC33 has two spray nozzles. Spray needs to be even. You can unscrew the nozzle caps and clean them. Careful, there is a spinner in there that needs cleaning also.

Let it run. Optimal conditions will yield 8 round cubes ever 20 minutes. If not cooling, first place to look is the timer. It may be frozen in defrost cycle. It's easy to turn a bit and then see if mold starts cooling. Spin it a few times and see if that frees it up. Clean the condenser as needed.

If it's cooling and making short cubes, it may be running out of water. Fill reservoir and clean solenoid screen.

If it's scummy, use an ice machine cleaning solution.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I let it run overnight and it half filled the bin. The cubes have dimples in the head but are otherwise well formed. I ordered some cleaner and will see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I let it run overnight and it half filled the bin. The cubes have dimples in the head but are otherwise well formed. I ordered some cleaner and will see how that works.
    Sounds about right. I used to be the Scotsman distributor for the Carolinas, so I'm familiar with the machine. It's a wet ice machine, so the ice in the bin is always melting. The one thing that'll hang you up is any restriction in the drain. If water pools just a little bit in the bin, the ice will melt almost as fast as it's made. Being on a boat, I'd shim it to make really sure the level favors the drain.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

8. Re: Icemaker problem

Yes me and my brother too faced this same problem in his boat while we were sailing

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Sounds about right. I used to be the Scotsman distributor for the Carolinas, so I'm familiar with the machine. It's a wet ice machine, so the ice in the bin is always melting. The one thing that'll hang you up is any restriction in the drain. If water pools just a little bit in the bin, the ice will melt almost as fast as it's made. Being on a boat, I'd shim it to make really sure the level favors the drain.
    Thanks for the details, I’m going to run the cleaner fluid through it and then shut it down until it’s needed again.

One other possibility (if your is similar to my Isotherm). I haven't been able to get it to make ice in a couple of weeks. I did a partial disassembly and cleaning to no avail. I went back and looked at install manual and it described "priming", which is basically lifting up the plastic cover and pouring water in (they suggested 3 liters, I used about half that). Sure enough, it was making ice in about 20 minutes and has been all afternoon. I guess it lost its prime from lack of use (oof, did I say that). Good luck...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL